VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Am still waiting for my R32 but cant wait to get behind the wheel and unleash it on some awesome roads. My brother has a lotus elise and we may plan a road trip to Wales or The Isle of Man with both cars for a bit of a thrash, plus we can swap cars and see what each is like. Bit like an EVO test!

I know there are members on here from all over good 'ol Blighty. So where are your favourite driving roads. Anyone up for an R32 thrash one weekend? I know they use Wales regularly in Top Gear and EVO. Not so sure about Scotland, plus Wales is closer to the NW.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Based on a start in Leeds, head over towards York...

A169 from Pickering up to Whitby, A171 over towards Middlesbrough before dropping south on the A172 to the A19 - then over to the A684 for a fantastic blast. Drop to the A683 and join the A65 in Kirby Lonsdale and head towards Long Preston.

Hop on to the A682 to Barrowford and then come back on yourself on the A59 to Blubberhouses near Harrogate, then B6451 into Otley and then it's back to normal roads before you can go home and have a cup of tea :)

G

·
head for the roads around brecon and crickhowell in south wales.

endless twists, turns, straights, perfection.

only one problem, the police like sticking their camera vans there.

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cotters said:
head for the roads around brecon and crickhowell in south wales.

endless twists, turns, straights, perfection.

only one problem, the police like sticking their camera vans there.
hopefully not at 7am this sunday morning!:xD

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Nanty Garth (probably spelt that incorrectly) pass between in North Wales between Ruthin and Llangollen is a real test for handling. It is short but very sweet. The road across the Denbigh Moors is also brilliant with very little traffic.
As for the Isle of Man, any of the mountain roads are great fun especially when you turn a bend and hit fog at 90+. The best thing about the Isle of Man is no speed limits.
Monkey

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
748 Posts
Yeah the IOM! Can vouch for the no speed limits and the Mountain Road on the TT course is excellent for a good thrash (do I sound like a local?! :blushed:) Loads of other back roads too, but better with a little practice/local knowledge... :)

·
286 Posts
I had a great drive up in the lake district when I first got the .:R and found the Kirkstone Pass....awesome views and an awesome drive. It's the highest road in the district.

·
2,548 Posts
A great drive for me is to start at Worcester, A44 all the way to Rhayader, left onto the A470 down to Builth Wells, right onto the A483 to Llandovery, Lower Rd to Llangadog, left onto the A4069 through the Brecon Beacons National Park and then back home via a different route.

Most of the roads on the trip are VERY enjoyable to drive but the A4069 through the Park is quite simply THE BEST DRIVING ROAD I'VE EVER BEEN ON, it's amazing! Good road surface, 2 lanes (not too tight), sharp corners, sweeping corners, undulation and visibility is really good so you can take the racing line a lot.

I've added a map below for anyone interested in doing the drive.

A few pics, best bit isn't visible here. Might take some more if I go again over Easter!

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's brilliant davefish! Am gonna have to give that one a shot. Few yrs ago drove up to Loch Lomond. The roads around there were pretty good, quiet, good surface, well capable of a 90mph thrash with good twists and turns. cant remember the road names.

·
887 Posts
psg001 said:
that's brilliant davefish! Am gonna have to give that one a shot. Few yrs ago drove up to Loch Lomond. The roads around there were pretty good, quiet, good surface, well capable of a 90mph thrash with good twists and turns. cant remember the road names.
Most of the roads around loch lomond and further west are immense, doesn't matter which ones, plenty of chances for some skilled driving as long as it's not caravan season!

·
3,137 Posts
A82 from Glasgow to Inverness via ft William. Awesome road and scenery pity I had to do it in a pish 1.8 vectra last time. Best to go out of holiday season as it will be rammed with caravans
To be honest it is not much slower than going up the a9

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you fancy a late night drive try the A628 from Manchester(M67) towards Penistone/Barnsley. I may like it so much because I'm really familiar with it but I'm sure you'd enjoy. The best thing about doing at night is that it's obviously quieter, but also much easier to overtake. Also the cat and fiddle between Macclesfield and Buxton - more deaths per mile than any other UK road though I believe

·
2,808 Posts
Iv got a road, more a lane, near me that is awesome, you can only really drive it a night because its quite narrrow (you need to see oncoming cars lights) but it makes even the slowest car feel like a rally car, and the narrowness makes it feel like your going sooo qwick! Way too bumpy for the r32 but its the ultimate courtesy car drive!
Thats got to be the main requirement for a really good driving road, to be able to drive it in any car and it still be brilliant fun.

·
199 Posts
The snakepass up north is a good one - when it's not covered in snow or closed because of a landslide.

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
found a gem yesterday morning. was driving on it at 6.30 am as had an early trip to do. was sunny and clear road. perfect.

Leaving manchester (south) via stockport on the A6. Head towards Disley/Buxton,stay on that road and you hit the A623 and a place called Peak Forest. Drive on this road for an amazing 10 miles of twists and turns. Really nice.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=peak forest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

1 - 20 of 21 Posts