VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, forgive my question rampage!

I know the topic has been covered a fair bit but I couldn't find one thread that covered it all. Figured a new thread would get me the most hits.

I know there is a big old love/hate for the EBCs. Im going to be getting new OEM discs, the fluid has been changed recently and I just want to have the most braking I can lay my hands on with out uprating the whole setup. The braking in my mkIV has never felt amazing but yet plenty of people think the Rs have good braking ability.

Have not done any track days yet, but wouldn't rule it out! Will probably get my arse over to Nurburgring sometime this year.

Brakes need to be good for the road also so obviously need to operate in a wide temp range. I know brake powder and longevity also need to be considered. Would live with mess and frequent replacement for peppy stopping.

Ferodo 2500? Pagid? EBC, Mintex.... where should I put my money?

Cheers!

·
287 Posts
There's only a few brands that actually produce pads for the mk4 r32, several companies list them but they are in fact the wrong pad, and are for a single pot calliper.

The only companies I could find that actually had the correct pad were EBC and Hawk, and having tried EBC Yellow Stuffs I wasn't impressed (never faded, just lack initial bite... would be good for track use maybe) and i'm now running an OE spec Ferodo pad which I find brilliant for fast road use.

Mintex, Pagid and Ferodo both make the correct OE Spec pad, but there uprated pads aren't right.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you got a link to the Ferodo pads you use please mate?

When you say "uprated pads arent right"?

·
South East Organiser
6,827 Posts
I got ebc red stuff. I like them.and low dust. Stopped me well plenty of times

Sent from my blowrr by a cat

·
287 Posts
Have you got a link to the Ferodo pads you use please mate?

When you say "uprated pads arent right"?
I'm using Ferodo FDB1001 pads at the mo, there just a good brand OE spec pad, which I can't fault for bite and fade resistance... and for the price I can't complain either, they may not be upto track driving, but there great for fast road driving (I do give my car plenty of stick too!)

The uprated pads that most of the companies list aren't the right shape to fit the R32 caliper, for some reason several of these companies seem to think that the R32 uses a single piston caliper... yet there OE spec pads are correct :-\

·
Registered
323 Posts
i used ebc yellow stuff in my old 180bhp vauxhall and i loved them along with drilled and grooved discs, at the point in which my pads need changing on my R32 i would get ebc yellow straight away.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I've got yellow stuff on mine. They don't fade and stop the car great especially when hot.

I am of the opinion that lack of bite, and general brake performance on the car is more to do with old calipers. Our cars are not young now and I reckon a full caliper refurb all round would do wonders. Even though a caliper works it can have lazy pistons and stiff seals.

I recall each time I've cleaned and greased up my calipers the massive increase in initial bite. But it doesn't last forever. So I'm saving up for a caliper refurb as I'm convinced that is the main culprit. The yellow stuff will send you through your windscreen in an efficient setup.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sure is a hearty recommendation, appreciate it! How hard is it to do yourself, the refurb that is? I've got a mate with his own workshop and lift...

·
1,538 Posts
I've ran yellow stuff for the last 6 yrs. on the R and on my Rotrex'd VR6.
I rate them highly and will get them again no doubt

·
2,639 Posts
Ferodo ds2500's are ace. Great on the road and performed excellently on the track. That's all I will fit to my cars from now on

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
SplitPersonality said:
That sure is a hearty recommendation, appreciate it! How hard is it to do yourself, the refurb that is? I've got a mate with his own workshop and lift...
The strip, clean, and re grease is a doddle. I've done a write up in the guides section called 'restoring brake performance'. Even easier with a ramp.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers yet again guys!

@ James - Do you need to re-do the brake fluid afterwards? Will head over to your guide now.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ferodo ds2500's are ace. Great on the road and performed excellently on the track. That's all I will fit to my cars from now on :)/>
Do they do front and rears for the mkIV, I've never manage to find front pads or am I tripping?!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
SplitPersonality said:
Cheers yet again guys!

@ James - Do you need to re-do the brake fluid afterwards? Will head over to your guide now.
Hi. I noted you have now seen the guide and can see that the fluid is not involved in that procedure. If you do an actual full caliper refurb with new pistons and seals then you will have to do brake fluid.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a lot James, think I'll give this a go when I pick up the new discs etc.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got some new Zimmermans and Ferodo DS2500 from Cheempeej, pleased as punch! Will get them on in the next week or two =)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
From what I can make out, EBC are the marmite of brakes. People either love 'em or hate them. You're running FI aren't you mate?

Reactions: PaulW

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have standard with red stuff EBC. They work however not having the bite when cold is a real annoyance. Will be changeling for either pagid or green stuff EBC in near future

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.