VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last owner or the first owner must have put this dodgy looking chrome strip at the base of the boot hatch. I'm hoping it's just cosmetic and isn't there to cover up a minor bit of damage (can't notice anything around it at all).

I've peeled back a little bit at the edge and it looks like there's going to be ALOT of residue left behind, what's the best way to remove the glue residue that it's going to leave behind?

Can't think of any other way other than just pulling it straight off, or should I try to heat up the glue bit by bit as I pull it off?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
I use a kettle and a credit card to ease crap like this off and then WD40 or 'Goo Gone' to remove the residue. Just be patient

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
use the wife / girlfriends hair dryer to warm it up as well

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
try fishing line behind it....then a solvent to remove the residue.....just be very careful using solvent.....wipe it straight off

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Yeah, best way is like has already been stated, hairdryer, fishing line (or something similar) residue remover and patience..

·
2,303 Posts
Definitely a hot hair gun or hairdryerxto heat up the glue be careful with the hot air gun though

Once off just use some thinners it's the best way to remove glue residue use it all the time in my bodyshop but always do a rub on a bit of paint you can't see just incase it reacts with the paint or takes it off it shouldn't as it will have clearcoat over but ya never know sometimes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
1,230 Posts
tardis.....paint safe and is made to remove glue n tar.

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
I'd be tempted to also have a go with trim tools if you have any.. I keep a set of them in my car at all times and use these for doing anything when removing things, especially on the interior where other sharp items would otherwise gouge the plastics or on the exterior, damage the paint.. They apply a good sharp edge without the risk of scratching..

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did it today with some goo remover, an old debit card and some microfiche cloth. Looks MUCH better I think, so glad it's gone and didn't leave any marks

Couldn't possibly have done it without some moral support either lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice work

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
What's a 'Microfiche cloth'??!!! Gotta get me one of them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts