VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A forum member over on Vortex has come up with an idea to replace the OEM plastic ashtray with a billet aluminum version.

If you dont like the look of your OEM R32 ashtray and fancy getting hold of a billet aluminum replacement in one of the following colours then please add your name to the list below:

Clear/Silver Anodized
Red Anodized
Blue Anodized
Black Anodized

They will cost $90.00 shipped to the UK and this price is based on 100 orders total not just limited to orders from www.r32oc.com. Payment is to be made via PayPal and rather than making payment now I recommend keeping hold of your cash until we have a decent sized list of interested parties together

Orders List

Nickname....l..Colour Choice
FiftyPenceR32 - clear/silver anodized

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Fifty, i have a friend in the CNC machining business. If we can get a prototype we could have some made, im sure it would be cheaper than buying loads from the states. However, im not saying we copy anything ;) Just saying, it could be done :D

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, very interesting.

The main reason why the US guys have decided to get this made is because the US R32 comes with a red ashtray (odd I know) whereas we Europeans get a black ashtray. I no longer smoke (quit Jan 2nd, 2007) so its not like I see the ashtray much (would never smoke in the R anyway to tell the truth) but the more unique parts I can get for my R32 which look OEM-quality the better :)

Im not too sure if the ashtray is easily removeable in order for dimensions to be taken for a billet aluminum version to be made but it might be worth looking into this.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
the guy is pretty damn good at what he does, he has swedish turning machines etc some serious equipment in his place.

What else is there we can have made ? :D

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I think the main factor in this is the costs required for tooling but if you are serious it would be great if you could approach the guy with some items we would like to be made up in billet to get an idea of costs:

1. Seat adjustment knobs (covers for the wheels on the side)*
2. The lever which you pull to open the bonnet once you have lifted the bonnet up ie the lever which is above the front grill
3. Washer fluid billet aluminum cap*
4. Oil cap*
5. Coolant cap*
6. Power steering cap*

* denotes that caps are currently available from other companies/sources but perhaps they could be made for less

Thats all I can think of which would be feasible.

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy needed 20 orders and last I see was that he had four so im not sure it ever took off. Ive IMd him to ask if it happened or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts