VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any owner reviews/pics of these fitted?

Have all but decided to go for these for my MK5. Concluded that B16's & V3's were probably too overkill for a daily at double the price.. unless anyone can convice me otherwise...!

On a side note I've noticed it appears the B14's have the same part number irrespective of which model MK5... which does seem odd to me as the R32 is much heavier... anyone able to shed any light on this?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, they're fantastic. You may already have bitten down on the bullet. You need the 55mm ones, I bought mine from lark speed for £720 plus free delivery.

Rule of thumb for these is that if your car runs 345mm discs it will need the 55mm struts and as far as I'm aware every mk5 R32 runs 345mm brakes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't recommend the kit unless you upgrade the spring rate. I have the b16, and the pss(b14) kit has a similar spring rate minus the shock/height adjustments, so it's an even bigger problem. Arguably it would be cheaper and easier to get the b14 kit and get VWR springs which is a slightly higher spring rate, yet cheaper than a linear spring setup. I opted to get the b16 and was deeply disappointed with the ride quality and horrible under sprung response. It wasn't until i spent even more money on stiffer linear+tender springs did i realize how important it is to match the spring rate to the weight of a vehicle. "softer" spring rates is not a good choice for our cars.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I went for them and couldn't be more pleased if I'm honest. Got them for an absolute steal at £580 delivered as well, brand new direct from Germany.

With regards to the above post surrounding spring rates, I don't notice an "under sprung response" neither am I disappointed with the ride quality. Could be because I've gone from standard setup straight to these, and if I had tried rivals I may have a different opinion. I plan to polybush all round and fit H&R arb's to improve the handling even more, but yeah overall I think the Bilstein's are fantastic and deserve all the credit they get.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't recommend the kit unless you upgrade the spring rate. I have the b16, and the pss(b14) kit has a similar spring rate minus the shock/height adjustments, so it's an even bigger problem. Arguably it would be cheaper and easier to get the b14 kit and get VWR springs which is a slightly higher spring rate, yet cheaper than a linear spring setup. I opted to get the b16 and was deeply disappointed with the ride quality and horrible under sprung response. It wasn't until i spent even more money on stiffer linear+tender springs did i realize how important it is to match the spring rate to the weight of a vehicle. "softer" spring rates is not a good choice for our cars.
What stiffer springs did you go for out of interest?

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's a complete custom set up. VWR camber plates, 60mm front springs and 2.5" rear springs. Around 8kg/5.5inch front and 6kg/7inch rear Eibach main springs and progressive tender springs on both front and rear. I don't know what the deal is, maybe US has a different kit. Multiple people in US complained about the harshness, i even had the springs wound up pretty high and it was just way too inconsistent and was crashing badly over bumps and holes. It could be just the pss10 b16's. I haven't tried the normal b14's. But there is absolutely no comparison from these springs from the standard springs. Everything is much better. Rebound is way faster and less jerky and the compression is super compliant and hardly ever crashes even over really hard bumps.

I don't know if you guys deal with hard bumps or not but that was the biggest problem, of course on normal/good road surface there wasn't much to complain about and even then i knew most of the roughness was the tires. But over bumps/holes quick direction changes the car felt horrible.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest I very much doubt the US has a different kit, as they are all manufactured in Germany and then imported I would imagine? I could be wrong though.

In my opinion they certainly aren't harsh - I wouldn't have bought them if they were as mine is a daily. There's much harsher setups out there for the R32, the B14's are meant to be a close feel to OEM. I don't have it slammed to the floor, but I can go over bumps no problem, it doesn't feel harsh on our poor English roads, it just feels more glued if I'm honest - I genuinely don't find it any bit more uncomfortable than standard either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
To be honest I very much doubt the US has a different kit, as they are all manufactured in Germany and then imported I would imagine? I could be wrong though.

In my opinion they certainly aren't harsh - I wouldn't have bought them if they were as mine is a daily. There's much harsher setups out there for the R32, the B14's are meant to be a close feel to OEM. I don't have it slammed to the floor, but I can go over bumps no problem, it doesn't feel harsh on our poor English roads, it just feels more glued if I'm honest - I genuinely don't find it any bit more uncomfortable than standard either.
I highly doubt it as well. But again i have the b16's. The spring rates are nothing like the OEM spring rates. The B16 progressive rate is between 3-4kg per inch on a slightly shorter spring, where as the factory is 3-6kg per inch on a longer more linear like spring. I don't know how bad your roads are compared to the US, but we have some pretty bad holes and speed bumps and rivets, and the B16's in standard springs crashed bad on everything. I've had a lot of upgrades since the change of springs but honestly the stiffer main springs and tenders felt to be the biggest improvement next to adjustable end links and larger rear ASB. The rebound response was a massive improvement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.