VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This is a work in progress thread so bear with me. I've been meaning to sort the paintwork out on my car for a few weeks now while it was off the road but never got round to it. So last night I gave it a wash and used the Meguiars Clay kit.

No before photos but here's one from the other week outside Awesome gti:

As you can see the paintwork looks great as there's no strong light shining on the car.

After drying the car I moved it into the garage and used some 400 watt halogen lamps I bought from B&Q. Was surprised with what I found to be honest as I didn't expect the paintwork to be this bad!

Front O/S wing:

O/S door:

Roof:

Upper rear bumper:

Lower rear bumper:

Lower rear bumper:

Rear light:

Rear bumper:

N/S quarter panel:

N/S quarter panel:

N/S quarter panel:

N/S quarter panel:

N/S door:

N/S lower door:

N/S lower door:

O/S wing:

Bonnet:

Car has the 3M paint protection film applied to the front of the car so I can't correct these areas. But the paint is new underneath and is in good condition anyway:

O/S door trim:

O/S upper door:

O/S lower door (opened the door into my bicycle pedal!):

O/S door sill:

O/S lower door (another chip from hitting my bike):

·
587 Posts
Wheels were cleaned recently. Insides were cleaned using WD40 and a brillo pad. It leaves some fine lines but you can't see them until you look very closely when the wheels are off. Outsides were refurbished recently so just used normal Zymol shampoo (Turtle wax version from Halfords). I then sealed them with two coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Will apply some more coats once the paintwork is done.

Got these hiding in the garage:

Going to start tackling the paint with the Autoglym Paint Pro kit tonight using my DA Porter Cable:

Will take photos as I go along.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
interested in the results buddy, i also have a black R32 (MK4) with lets say a few marks like yourself

I'd like to see how this kit works and maybe ill have a go myself

Good Luck

Wez

·
Registered
852 Posts
Subscribed. I have a couple of scratches on the bonnet of the MK5 I'm picking up on Saturday and will be interested to see how you deal with similar marks.

Paul

·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
R32_Wez said:
Any news buddy, hows it coming along?

Wez
Haven't started it yet ???? Will do later on, just got in from work.

·
1,138 Posts
Another who is looking forward to seeing your techniques and results

·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Started on the bonnet and N/S wing last night.

Bonnet had a lot of marring in, either from being too aggressive with drying cloths or using the clay bar:

Used this to remove any dust on the paintwork, and also in between polishing the paint:

Dug the trusty old Porter Cable 7424 out, had this for around 8 years and still going strong:

Backing plate has seen better days though:

Using stage 1 of the AG Paint Pro System for now, this does the cutting with stage 2 bringing up the shine:

Bonnet split into sections and edges of paint protection film protected:

DON'T try this at home, it fell on my bonnet and left a small dent ????

Using 400 watt halogen light from B&Q to highlight defects, never used these before and it makes all the difference. Garage fluorescent tubes and even natural outdoor sunlight (unless very strong) wont show the marks in the paintwork.

So here goes. Applied a line of polish to the pad and set the PC speed to 1:

I put the pad on the paintwork and turned it on, spreading the polish quickly over the area to be worked. Then I increased the speed to 3 and used the 10 pass technique as described by AG to cover the area. Left to right is one pass. After doing this I increased the PC speed to 5 and repeated the 10 passes. Wiped down with the Meguiars spray and a microfibres cloth using light pressure and here's the results:

Moved to the next section and this is how the polish looks before wiping it down. Hopefully I've broken the polish down enough:

After wiping it down:

Whole bonnet finished using stage 1 of the process. Am surprised at how quickly and easily the defects were removed. Granted they weren't anything major but nonetheless it's a great bit of kit for anyone to use:

You can see the comparison between the bonnet and the untouched wing here:

·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moving onto the N/S wing, tape out down the middle to split it into two sections:

After polishing:

50/50 shots:

Stage 1 completed on the wing:

·
1,415 Posts
Top work irfan!
Something I wanted to do to mine,but unfortunately detailing fund has now being used to sort the problems on my car
Keep the pics coming!love the 50/50 shots ????

·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
R32paulm said:
Top work irfan!
Something I wanted to do to mine,but unfortunately detailing fund has now being used to sort the problems on my car
Keep the pics coming!love the 50/50 shots dde03
Thanks!

Saw your other read, am surprised how all those issues were missed when they fitted the coilovers. And presumably they must have road tested the car afterwards too.

·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big Toe said:
Looking good man! About time!!
Cheeky! It's had a hard year this year so needed some TLC ????

Hope your well dude, what you rolling in at the moment?

·
206 Posts
Geat Work Irf.

This is very interesteing as I'd identified a DA and AG paint pro as the purchase to make to get into paint correction. The only thing holding me back are all the comments saying DA's aren't worth it/won't touch VAG paint etc..and to get a rotary! But basically you just blew these aguements out of the water so thanks...decision made!!

Also, you don't mention it but did you use a paint depth gauge?

·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TheDoc said:
Geat Work Irf.

This is very interesteing as I'd identified a DA and AG paint pro as the purchase to make to get into paint correction. The only thing holding me back are all the comments saying DA's aren't worth it/won't touch VAG paint etc..and to get a rotary! But basically you just blew these aguements out of the water so thanks...decision made!!

Also, you don't mention it but did you use a paint depth gauge?
The marks that have been corrected are very light and you can polish them out by hand. When I get to the rear bumper and wet sand the deep scratches, that'll be the test for the DA and Paint Pro combination.

Didn't use a paint gauge but I have got the reading from about two years ago when a garage took them for me. Not really cut into the paint since then so it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've used that same combo to do mine dbp golf and my mums black tt and its awesome, now I just use deep shine and its looks good all the time with a spot of wax

·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mbgti01 said:
Any more updates?
Give me a day or two and I'll upload all the photos
Almost finished the car, should have it done by tonight.

·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
image-45626167.png

That was the worst part of the car. Managed to fix around 8"% of the marks with touch up paint, wet sanding and then machine polishing. Made a huge difference!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts