VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I odered my R32 last week (I opted for a prebuild car rather than wait 3 months) but it doesn't come with bluetooth. The options available to me are:

VW handsfree kit £300.00 fully fitted

or

Parrot 3200LS or 3100LS for about £230

Does anyone have an opinion on what to go for? I currently have a blackberry but that may change so I'd rather go for the best option and not be dictated too by the phone. I don't have the multifunction steering wheel if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Repeat,

how ya doing pal, congrats on the new 32 man.

Ok, here's my opinion on the options you have open to you -

VW factory fit option - works well within the car, looks OE, tends not to support the newest phones fully, very limited functions i.e. phonebook listings, last call made, call duration etc etc.

Parrot 3100 - ok this has been the weapon of choice for the following cars at mine in the last few weeks - VW transporter, Transit, Audi A4, Jag Super V8, BMW M3, Golf R32, Audi R8 and Porsche Caymen. Its awesome, The Audi A4 driver had a blackberry and it fully synchronised with his phonebook allowing him access to all his contacts from the Parrot itself, it supoports WAY more phones than the VW standard AND is even compatible with the new iPhone - Oh, and anymore than £200 for this is a rip off pal.

Parrot 3200 - as above but full colour screen allowing photos of contacts to be displayed when they call, as long as you have one saved of course. No more than £230 fitted but more likely £210

Hope this has been of some help pal.

Regards

Chris

CCA

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chris,

I was hoping you would spot the post and reply. If I was anywhere near your shop I would have come for a visit and a cup of tea.
Getting very excited about the R32 as everyone on the forum seems to really enjoy driving it!

Are there any other options available to me that would work? I'm really after the most integrated solution possible hence why I would consider the VW over the parrot.
If the Parrot is best where do most folks fit it? under the centre console?

Thanks again for the quick reply and from saving me getting ripped off.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Paul,

no worries, we all look after eachother on here so there's no need for anyone paying over the odds.

No worries you're not in the area mate, where in the UK ARE you? i can probably recommend somewhere to get it fitted. i know a lot of dealers out there pal so its not an issue.

As for where it gets fitted, the mic normally gets fitted at the top of the A-Pillar, the display usually on the right hand side of the steering wheel and all the rest of it tucked neatly up under the day and zip-tied out of the way safely. I cant recommend the Parrot kit enough, the A4 driver also had a BMW 5 series as his last car and the guy we cxalled to test it on (his brother) said it was way clearer than his last cars kits (the BMW factory fit option).

As far as othe options go there are 1 or 2. You could take the existing stereo out and replace it with a new cd player, Alpine or Pioneer and their respective Bluetooth interface. OR you could do a new DVD screen, Alpine IVA W202 and get the alpine bluetooth interface and have touchscreen dialling through the screen. It all comes down to budget though pal.

Give me a call at the shop tomorrow and i'll quite happily talk you through your options and give you ideas on prices too - i'm on 01257 220035

cheers mate

Chris

·
Registered
53 Posts
paul,

Good choice of car you wont be let down.

I agree with Chris, however you may want to consider the THB Bury CC 9060 Bluetooth Car Kit, which we currently have installed in our R32. not sure where you are but we will be at Brands Hatch on the 30th should you want a look.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hands3. Won't have the car by then - VW date keeps slipping. Still hopeful for early May! Will try to attend the next one.

Chris, thanks for your time today and the advice. I'm going to see if my local dealer has the pioneer FH-P80BT which seems to meet my needs exactly. Cartronics quoted me crazy money to fit (and to supply and fit) so I'm going to shop around a bit. I'd almost be cheaper to drive to you to get it fitted :)

Will keep you all posted on the car and the stereo!

Paul.

·
180 Posts
Very happy with my 3200LS. Only negatives I've found is that with my phone (sony ericsson w880i) it plays the default ringtone through the stereo rather than the one selected on the phone, and it only stores one number from the contact list under each name when you migrate the phonebook. Not a huge issue but most of my contacts have a mobile/house/work number stored under one name.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris, just under £500 for everything. If I buy the stereo, £150+vat+parts.
topher, thanks! I'm hoping I'll get a least that functionality with the pioneer.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
FUCK ME!!!!! Thats RIDICULOUS. Just to give you an idea, the only parts they'll need are as follows -

1 x VW Quadlock - ISO Adaptor - £15
1 x Amplified aerial booster - £10
1 x Fascia Adaptor £15
1 x 1meter length of 14amp cable to run from an ignition to the set - £0.10p

And Pioneer's RRP for the unit is £329

So by my tally thats - £369.10

And if someone came in my shop i'd fit the thing for £330 INC all of the above and it'd be a decent job too. Jesus.

Aim for no more than £80 for fitting incl parts as it is a 90 minute job

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have a look at one of these, not had one my self but iv had everything else thats been listed.

Parrots suffer from screen faliure, you do get the odd one that never fails but 3200's seem to pop for no reason.

We got the dealer sales pack at work this week for the IO bt kits and look good. Best single function has to be X2 bluetooth devices connected at once, i have a works phone and my personal handset also so can have them connected at once.

The IO Play comes with a 60 watt class D amp which is pritty impressive for a handsfree kit.

http://www.my-io.com/Products/Default.aspx

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The IO class D amp is 60w RMS BUT it is over 4 channels so its actually 15w per channel. The IO does look good but it has only been around for 6-8 weeks therefore not long enough to be fully tried and tested. Having said that, it IS made by armour automotive who manufacture Autoleads, Veba, Mutant and they distribute Kicker too so a very reputable company.

Chris

CCA

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked up my R32 yesterday :) It's awesome to drive. Can't wait until it's run in.
Got the Pioneer FH-P80BT fitted yesterday for about £380. Ipod works great. You can see albums, playlists, etc. Much better than the VW unit. The bluetooth phone works well also and managed to download my phonebook etc. It even recognises you have multiple numbers for the same person and you can scroll through them. Not getting the greatest performance from the mic (hidden behind small speakrs above head - very quiet and a lot of background noise for the person receiving the call) but I'm still testing. Switched on echo cancel = High to see if that has the desired result. Will keep you posted.

Thnks again Chris for the help and advice.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Thats a much better price pal, nice one, as for the mic, they arent speakers in the head lining, they're actually just vents, the X5 has them as do Audis and a lot of cars. it might be worth getting it moved onto the outside, knowing my boys at pioneer it wont be an ugly mic and you'll benefit soundwise.

Glad you're enjoying the new beast though matie.

Safe driving

Chris

CCA

G

·
Hi Chris, nice one re. all the info about the Parrot system. I have just bought this system and want to install it myself. I'd really appreciate it if you would help me by advising about the install.....

1. I'd like to install the display in the headlining, just above the rear view mirror. Is the stock cabling long enough for this?

2. Same question for the microphone, is the cable long enough.... also would it be OK in this position, or is the A pillar a better location to fit?

3. I have the Double DIN satnav system, do I require any additional plugs/cables etc in addition to the stuff that is supplied in the box?

4. What do I need to do to power the unit? Where is it best to source power from, what cabling etc do I need?

Any other tips or advise would be mucho appreciated. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Bomber Dude,

there's 8 of us currently down here at CCA HQ watchin Johnny detailing RichardShek's sweet turbo'd R. Last minute meet though, only found out last night.

OK, there's a really easy bit of kit that will solve all your problems, and it's £20. Its basically an interface lead that goes inbetween the VW wiring and the stereo. i THINK the double din sat nav is on Quadlock so you'll need this. If it isnt on quadlock then you dont need this at all, the parrot loom just plugs straight in.

Gimme a call down the shop now if you like and i'll give you some trick pointers, 01257 220035

Cheers

CHris

CCA

G

·
Thanks Chris,

Sorry for being new to some of this, but what is quadlock? What is the interface part, how do I order it and does it also provide power to the unit?

Any advice you can provide on this site would be great as I can print it out/refer to it when fitting :wink:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Bomber man,

Quadlock is a type of connector that vw use to plug in and power the head unit. The part you need is called an SOT Lead. The part number for the Golf if it is qualock is SOT 976, this will give you power to the unit and also route all the audio through the cars speakers when you get a call then unmute the stereo when you hang up.

Gimme a call sometime and i'll answer any more questions as its easier than typing a 7 page reply, ha ha

Chris

silverbomber said:
Thanks Chris,

Sorry for being new to some of this, but what is quadlock? What is the interface part, how do I order it and does it also provide power to the unit?

Any advice you can provide on this site would be great as I can print it out/refer to it when fitting :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.