VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite sure about this..... but is good to see a cheaper alternative option for wheels.

I'd quite like to see a more amateur photo.

Am I too much of a vortex thief?

Does it P you all off to see the same thing in two places?

J.

·
1,432 Posts
Tokyo Dub said:
I'd quite like to see a more amateur photo.
I agree with you there, there must be more pics floating about somewhere.

Tokyo Dub said:
Am I too much of a vortex thief?

Does it P you all off to see the same thing in two places?

J.
Not at all, there could well be members here who are not members of Vortex and who would never have since this picture if you hadnt posted it.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,485 Posts
As I've previously said, that is what I was going for originally, but with gloss black OEM alloys - they look dark anthracite.

I decided against it as it leaves the front grill isolated and out of place imo.

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never been sure about black wheels on a black car, and agree with you Ed. Something is needed to balance the silver on the grille. 2-piece rims black centre silver lip could look OK possibly.

It's always a gamble with rims though as it can be an expensive mistake if you make the wrong choice.

What are your plans now Ed?

·
1,485 Posts
Asthetically - Nothing. Love the look of the OEM car to be honest.

Performance - Milltek Cat back in the near future, if I don't get rid of it anytime soon, I'd probably end up going the Shrik Cams route. Unlikely though.

Yourself?

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As this is my first brand new car, I'm reluctant to do big mods. There is no market for 2nd hand stuff here (eg OEM exhaust/wheels). I'm perfectly happy with the handling at present, although would like to try a Gen 2 Haldex controller.

I also like the OEM look, but may do my usual mod of changing the VW badges (front and rear) to black (also needs GT style black upper grill and VW badge holder). Will have to do some p'chopping first to check it out. Ideally I'll retain all originals so I can revert to OEM if neccessary.

I'm really glad I got the older style wheels, although they are a PITA to clean.

It's tough for me to find parts out here. I'll probably get panel filter (maybe BMC like yours) - depends on price and availability, may need to wait until a friend is visiting from the UK. Will do the flapper mod soon (when I get 20 spare mins). Another problem I have is that it's dark by 6pm all through the summer, so no evening tinkering.

You thinking about ditching the R then...?

·
1,485 Posts
Sounds good. No I love the car, just that I'd only put the cams in if I had it for years and years, which I wont. For me, as soon as the warranties gone, so is the car, but that's still along time!

I did the flapper mod and actually put it back to standard the next day. The flapper mod gives the exhaust a drony sound a low rpm which I didn't like. Then at higher revs the shriekyness of the V6 is compromised again by a louder, but droneir sound.

Wasn't for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
EdHoskins said:
As I've previously said, that is what I was going for originally, but with gloss black OEM alloys - they look dark anthracite.

I decided against it as it leaves the front grill isolated and out of place imo.
Tokyo Dub said:
I've never been sure about black wheels on a black car, and agree with you Ed. Something is needed to balance the silver on the grille. 2-piece rims black centre silver lip could look OK possibly.
Something like this might work nicely on a black MKV R32.

It seems like the silver rim couldn't easily be done on the R32 alloys because the spokes stick out proud of the edge of the rims.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts