VW Golf R32 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been meaning to put a progress thread up here since buying the car last May. After spending what felt like years saving up and watching suitable Rs pass me by, I finally found one that I could at that time afford (with a little help from my girlfriend, God bless her).

Found it on ebay, which isn't where I would have seen myself buying a car from, but it was well priced, looked great and the guy had been an owner on here at some point. I phoned him up and paid the deposit unseen, then made the long trip from West London to Whitehills (about 60 miles north of Aberdeen).

The bank held out on my payment transfer so I ended up spending the night in Whitehills - the owner's dad found me a great seaside B&B and also cooked me dinner. The next day he took me round his malt farm and showed me the sights, a really genuinely great guy. It's an old adage, but you wouldn't get that in London.

Here is the car from its ebay listing...

Attachments

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And when I first got her home...
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:29073]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:17297]

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the car before I had sold my old one (hence borrowing money). Here is the old Mk4 Match before I sold it. It was my pride and joy as it was my first car. I think I sold it in a better state than when I bought it! Bought for £4.5k, sold for £2.5k after 3.5 years, not too bad!

Attachments

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the old and the new together. I tentatively showed the buyer of my old car around the R. I was a bit worried they would change their mind!

Plus here is one of my girlfriend loving the new car…

Attachments

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First on my list to do was replace the brakes, as they were shot to bits and squeaking all the time. Opted for some EBC Ultimax Sport Slotted Brake Discs with Redstuff pads all round. Not the cheapest option but well worth it.

Excuse the crappy photos...alloys really need a refurb

Attachments

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then I went to Awesome GTI to get coil-overs put on as the ride height was a bit too high for my liking. While I was there I got Neuspeed front and back ARBs.

Didn't manage to get any pictures for months and months due to weather and being a bit lazy.

Got LED sidelights, and interior LEDs all round. A cheap and only slightly fiddly mod. Girlfriend's small hands came in handy (again).

Finally got the Aero wiper and the US spec rears fitted this week, really pleased with how they look. I think it really freshens up the rear end. The old wiper was an abomination. The US lights look much better in my opinion. I'm now undecided about Sharan rear badge.

Here are some photos before Manchester...

Attachments

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And two from today with US spec rears and Aero wiper fitted...as well as the first photos I've taken since lowering and spacing. Apologies if the pics are a bit sh*t, I'm still getting to grips with how to take good ones.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,968 Posts
Looks good and I like the mods.

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Administrator
13,968 Posts
Bobobahia said:
A couple of interior shots from earlier on. Love these seats, shame about the saggy bottoms though.
that was the reason when I got mine the full leather was not an option luckily I got the black 1/2 faux ones which still look new

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most of the time those half leather/vinyl seats look as good now as they did when they were fitted. I was looking for those when I bought this. If I get them re trimmed I'll get the center pieces done in alcantara/cloth. Can't be doing with the sagging.

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
I've just spotted that some r32's had another line stitched where the sag normally is, if you were bothered about it maybe it's worth having it trimmed professionaly to solve that

Reactions: Bobobahia

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
The Womble said:
I've just spotted that some r32's had another line stitched where the sag normally is, if you were bothered about it maybe it's worth having it trimmed professionaly to solve that
US spec only?.....

1 - 20 of 83 Posts