VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
Not possible, the R36 and R32 are completely different engines, you couldn't bore out 400cc.

If you've ever seen R32 pistons and thought they were big, take a look at some R36 ones!

An overbore on an R32 isn't possible much up to 2mm as the walls become too thin.

Not a question of just boaring either, an R36 crank has a longer throw too.

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Not possible, the R36 and R32 are completely different engines, you couldn't bore out 400cc.

If you've ever seen R32 pistons and thought they were big, take a look at some R36 ones!

An overbore on an R32 isn't possible much up to 2mm as the walls become too thin.

Not a question of just boaring either, an R36 crank has a longer throw too.
As above ^^^^

·
2,803 Posts
Is the 3.2 effectively a bored 2.8, or are they completely different engines?

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts

·
2,204 Posts
Yep, different engines. The R32 gets it's capacity from the crank and 84mm bore. It's a different casting to the 2.8.

Same again with R36 vs R32 but the bank seperation is also different. 15 deg for the R32 and 10.5 deg for the R36.

·
3,281 Posts
The R32 is/was effectively an evolution of the 12V VR6. Different head, bigger bore and longer stroke, but the original 12V block will not house this.

Looking at the history of the block, you can see why its got such a poor power output.

However you can't just bore and stroke a 2.8 to 3.2, as if you go beyond 2mm on the bores the walls become extremely thin. I knew of a few US 12V's running a 3.0 bore that ended up going bang because of this.

The only saving grace for the R32 was the inlet manifold that was junked on the VR6 (VSR) due to costs and sold to Schrick. The R32 would have been even slower if it hadn't of adopted the same technology.

Unfortunately its was left behind in the development department, some years ago.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
I thought that the reality of OP's question (or rather, the lack of!) matched the reality of a perpetual motion machine (or rather, the lack of!) fairly well :p/>
Yea, was a reasonable question he asked if you don't know the answer, I just liked the way you answered it

·
3,281 Posts
The old rings on my old VR6 went so I had it bored to 2.9 with forged pistons, lightened and balanced and had the head ported. I ran it in before I supercharged it and for some reason it sounded absolutely fookin amazing!

It sounded completely different, it howled and growled like nothing I'd ever heard before.

Then the charger went on and all you could hear was boost and charger whine.

So, 2.9 was as far as safe could be really, I wonder if the old girl is still going!!!

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies, good bit of knowledge there. I was pretty sure that was the case but I couldn't find a straight answer on the search.
I am going to "at some point" strip my engine down get it honed, ported & polished and dipped. I will also stick some shiny forged pistons and rods in :)
I won't be getting it bored at the same time then.

Cheers lads

·
.:R32OC Parking Attendant
4,025 Posts
Umm. I don't think you'll be putting in forged pistons.

Unless you are going FI, which I think you would have said in ur dream list.

Sorry to burst the bubble.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts