VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
179 Posts
Time has come to change my discs, definately fronts, rears could last a while longer but id prefer to get them all done at once. I have spent a couple of days researching on the forum and believe the majority verdict is stick with the OEM 2 piece floaters that it comes from the factory with (Have a Mk4 .:R btw). I Bought the car with EBC turbo groove drilled and vented discs and Yellow stuff pads all round so looking forward to seeing the difference in breaking. The pads as it happens have plenty of life left in them as far as i can tell.

I have been to my local VW dealer and have a lad who looks after me very well on the parts counter. He's give me a price of £400 for OEM discs all round (parts only). Do you chaps reckon this is a good deal or not??. For reference the fronts came to £320 on their own.

Had a look on ECP and GSF and similar alternatives (Pagid's on ECP, not sure about GSF), are pretty much £230 per front side, unsure on rears as the websites are a tad confusing, dont know what the Forum discount code is for ECP cant seem to find it.

Also do you think standards is the way to go with the rears or are better aftermarket options available? I dont know if the rears are solid or also 2 piece floaters? I've looked in to this on the forum aswell but cant find as much info or a majority verdict.

Thanks for any help chaps/chapesses,

Rob

Edit: i know i've spelt recommendation wrong on the title before some one (Bob) pulls me up on it
too late now....

·
2,303 Posts
I've got the EBC plain discs and are absolutely fine to me and cost half as much as the pagid ones and tbh not noticed much difference between them during braking itself

In my opinion it's all down the the pad choice that makes good braking but then again brembos would be even better

All I can see is the pagid floating ones are much lighter than the EBC discs

·
2,204 Posts
If you bought the car on Yellow stuffs and discs, you'll see some improvements with OEM parts! I don't know why people still buy green/red/yellow stuff as it's garbage. Internet conjuecture I suspect.

You could try pagid fast road pads if they still do them, or Ferodo DS2500, or the mighty Pagid RS15 if available. The OEM pads are pretty good too. Loads better than junk stuff.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help so far, ive seen conflicting info on EBC pads, and like i mentioned they have life left in them yet, and im not one to waste money
Once they're gone i'll definetaly be trying the Ferodo DS2500 as they seem to get very good ratings on the forum.

Unless the yellowstuffs decide to start eating my new discs which ive read once or twice can happen with the OEM discs in which case i'll be switching early.

Cheers,

Rob

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
R8B WG said:
Well just checked on ECP with the forum discount and it comes to £343, so guess ive answered my own question there!!

So just the rears to sort out now i suppose if anyone has any info/help it would be much appreciated.
Speak to Wayne he might be able to sort you out with a 300mm upgrade

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info Pred, in all honestly im pretty happy with the set up i have at the moment, the turbo groove's have stopped me very well in a few needed circumstances, but i do like to try different things, test other peoples recommedations and find what suits my driving style best so discs are up first, as for pads ive read good reviews about both mintex and ferodo's, and think the ferodo's just pipped the mintex to the post. If i have the money at the time i'll be going with a set of them, if not i think mintex will be in with a shout, believe they are cheaper if i remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
R8B WG said:
Would they're be much work involved in doing this paul? would it just be the discs or would the calipers need changing or a simple adapter?
Adaptors, I can supply £90
Rs4 Discs from ECP £70 for both iirc they will need drilled to 5x100
Spigot ring.

It's a bolt on kit, you don't even need to re bleed your brakes. You can buy the whole kit or build the kit yourself for a fraction

·
1,935 Posts
Adaptors, I can supply £90
Rs4 Discs from ECP £70 for both iirc they will need drilled to 5x100
Spigot ring.

It's a bolt on kit, you don't even need to re bleed your brakes. You can buy the whole kit or build the kit yourself for a fraction
I thought they were S4 disks?

I need some spigot rings, any idea where to get them from?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts