VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly anyone oooop north used these guys?

http://www.mss-wheeldoctor.co.uk

Secondly what's the ral code for the mk5 phase 1 stock wheel colour (or as close as)

The place above seems to get good reviews and it's very well priced so taking my rims there tomorrow hopefully.... On speaking to them though they can mix colours fine so custom colours are no probs but when asked if they could match the stock color he was a bit hesitant saying they have their own silver that's slightly flatter looking in colour

Surely whether you're mixing a totally custom coloUr or trying to match as close to stock as possible its the same process right so why hesitate?!

Basically I don't want a shit flat silver that looks like a bad set of reps when I could get say gunmetal or other colour.... In fact any suggestions for a colour to suit a Grey mk5?

What do you reckon?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I had mine done recently at a local place. Typically they want you to use 'their' version of silver regardless of your choice. Mine came back flat and poor and went straight back. Had a big long convo from which I deduced that they have a vested interest in using their standard silver.

I am still not happy, but the second attempt was a little better than the first.

My advice is be totally clear with them about what you want, let them know you are fussy, and make a note of any swatch reference you agree on.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had mine done recently at a local place. Typically they want you to use 'their' version of silver regardless of your choice. Mine came back flat and poor and went straight back. Had a big long convo from which I deduced that they have a vested interest in using their standard silver.

I am still not happy, but the second attempt was a little better than the first.

My advice is be totally clear with them about what you want, let them know you are fussy, and make a note of any swatch reference you agree on.
Dude bang on where I'm at.... Thing is the place is only open m-f 9-5 so unless I take a day off work I'm never gonna get a chance to look at swatches.

In my head if I wanted metallic pink there's a code for that and I can get them done fine.

Now regardless if the silver colour is an exact match surely even a close match is the same process mixing up the pink?

So why not just say.... We don't own the colour code for the stock color but we can get close?!

He's made me think I'm just gonna get some random colour that I've no control over

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used Midas touch in Wakefield
Powder coated gunmetal grey
From this

To this
They look awesome dude..... I've got gunmetal rims on at the mo and I find that a bit like black wheels they look smaller than say silver as the line between where the wheel ends and tyre starts seems to be blurred small we say....

This is why I'm thinking of just matching back to the stock color..... Grey car is so gay for wheel color choice lol

·
587 Posts
I found the original silver to be a bit flat. It's bright but flat. So opted for the Jaguar/Range Rover Sparkle Silver. Looks normal silver in the light but when its sunny the flake really pops!

Reactions: Douggie MkIV

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Hyper silver is a nice colour. Really bright. Predator is a painter I'm sure, he will give you good options on colours and finishes etc

·
3,242 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome guys...

I'm totally open to suggestions for any silver that's bright and even got a bit of a twist as mentioned but I'm finding it hard to get a code as I can't see it on the flesh

@irf don't suppose you've got a code for range sparkle silver have you?

@paul same for you pal, you got the code? I'll send my mate with a few options and get him to work around them, theyre on the right lines

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
There is no paint code for it.

It is technically 3 layers of paint, and a resulting chemical reaction creates the high luster finish.

This is not a finish you can spray on yourself. It requires specialized equipment and stringient control of the curing etc to produce reliable results.
It's a BMW colour, finish :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no paint code for it.

It is technically 3 layers of paint, and a resulting chemical reaction creates the high luster finish.

This is not a finish you can spray on yourself. It requires specialized equipment and stringient control of the curing etc to produce reliable results.
It's a BMW colour, finish :)
Doh.....so how the hell does anyone get their wheels done lol

·
587 Posts
Awesome guys...

I'm totally open to suggestions for any silver that's bright and even got a bit of a twist as mentioned but I'm finding it hard to get a code as I can't see it on the flesh

@irf don't suppose you've got a code for range sparkle silver have you?

@paul same for you pal, you got the code? I'll send my mate with a few options and get him to work around them, theyre on the right lines
I don't sorry, the garage I used repair Range Rovers and showed me a wheel they had refurbished off an Evoque. Liked the colour of it and told them to use that colour. Sparkle Silver seems to be a popular colour, albeit having few different shades. Googling the colour brings up code MNH if that helps, but not sure if it's the same paint.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Think BMW Titanium Silver is a good match and paint code for that is 354.

Can't get VW alloy wheel colour as it is a powdercoated so no paint code to get exact match but as said above, you can get close.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't sorry, the garage I used repair Range Rovers and showed me a wheel they had refurbished off an Evoque. Liked the colour of it and told them to use that colour. Sparkle Silver seems to be a popular colour, albeit having few different shades. Googling the colour brings up code MNH if that helps, but not sure if it's the same paint.
Yeah sorry that my naivety at the process.... obviously if I wanted that silver on my cars body there'd be a code as it's actual paint

Wheels being powerdercoated or whatever as Paul pointed out don't have a code but was hoping I could provide some samples in ral code or other just to say "match that best you can"

In gonna take a gamble..... If it's shit ill get them redone

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Think BMW Titanium Silver is a good match and paint code for that is 354.

Can't get VW alloy wheel colour as it is a powdercoated so no paint code to get exact match but as said above, you can get close.
Yeah man that's all I wanted
I mean I could take the wheel to b&q and get metallic emulsion to match better than I'm having luck at the wheel place lol

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about the silver that R's are painted in...that has a code?
Yeah that would have done

Im beginning to think it's a cost thing as much as anything.... Flat plain color was fixed price, their silver fits into that category but is too dull .... obviously I want it lighter which then becomes a custom colour I guess.... either way I'm just gonna risk it, I've got another set so these are for winter anyway, if it turns out pants I'll get them done gunmetal or similar:)

@all

Cheers for your input guys

1 - 20 of 22 Posts