VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently had my entire front end painted at the VW bodyshop and i seem to keep attracting issues.

A gritter caight me the other week causing minor issues. Ive just driven down the M1 and a piece of debris blowing around in the wind hit my car. I tried to swerve and it caught my front right bumper. It was a big heavy sheet of something...like roof lining or something.

Its damaged the recent paint and smashed the plastic slats that sit in the bumper (fog lamp spot). Can anyone advice on price?

Looks like another bodyshop trip.

Off to kick a cat!

Thanks

Attachments

·
2,303 Posts
Yeah probablies another trip to paint shop buddy looks too deep to polish out even if they've put a few coats of clear on it

With look you may get away with just getting the bumper sprayed and they may still have the paint they used to spray it before but may of threw it away

Give them a ring and find out if not then it could mean blowing it into the wings and clearing them too

As for the grills I can check for a round price for you or you may be better looking on eBay or put a wanted ad on here

·
Registered
363 Posts
The plastic grill wont be alot from VW, lucky it wasnt the big centre one as they are big money.

Bumper wise your probably looking at it being reprepped and resprayed though.. Could be looking £200-£300.. Plus the grill.

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Ive just had bumper, bonnet, wings and roof repainted hence im a bit gutted today!

Ive emailed the VW bodyshop guy. Will get it booked in.

P1sses me rigtht off when people dont secure stuff properly and allow debris to blow downt the motorway.. It hit another car after it hit mine.

Fingers crossed but no dount this will cost.

·
2,303 Posts
They may give you a bit of discount or you could get a local/spot repair done on it basically repair the effected area and blow fade out the paint in that spot then clear probablies half way across the bumper using fade out thinners with the clear it actually comes out well

Here's a red one I did at college, the area was just blown in and you can't tell only a small area was painted, then the clear was taken out half way across the bumper using fade out thinners to dissolve any overspray and polished up

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Hood

Car Vehicle Grille Wheel Tire

Bonnet looks a different colour but the owner hasn't polished the car before and once other panels are polished then it all blends in together and it was only the repaired area that was sprayed probablies went about 2-3 inches past the primed area and used about 200ml of paint if that

It's basically the same as your repair so just ask them if they can do a local/spot repair on it and see what the difference in price will be compared to spraying the full bumper

Only thing you need to be careful of is the clearcoat rolling back if the clear is done half way across the bumper, during polishing it can occur and it's best to polish away from the repair so ask them if they do this where they took the clearcoat up to, it should be fine one totally cured though so don't worry if you have to machine polis it after a month or so of the spraying

Attachments

·
19,408 Posts
I bust the same grill on my MK5 when I had it.

Only held on by 2 small screws and it cost around £17 plus vat at the time so I would guess around £20 plus vat now.

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brill..thanks for that.....

As it happens its nipping back into the VW bodyshop this week as it suffered a small chip of paint on the other wing and they just offered to sort it FOC by repainting the wing. I also mentioned that my washer fluid was leaking out since the bumper painting / dismantle which coincidentally is just a washer bottle O ring. They said they remove the drivers fog lamp area (the smashed part) to get at it.

So, hopefully mixing up some extra paint + the part which doesnt sound too pricey (thanks! and yes its drivers side) + a bit of labour might not be too bad! The fact that the part is £20 and not £100 is a big help! All being well as a worst case they dont feel the need to repaint the whole bumper.

Cheers for the info.

Ive been pretty p1ssed off today. The missus has a hard time today..Dont think she quite gets why im so annoyed! Its just sods law this never happens....but happens after ive chucked good money at a respray! :-(

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My cars going into VW in 2 weeks. They will remove, repaint and refit the bumper for me for £135 + around £40 for the grill...

Gave the bodyshop manager some lyrics and he seemed a decent chap. I think ive been looked after!

Hopefully, no more bad luck!

·
19,408 Posts
Looks as though the price of the grill has went up a bit since I bought it.

Glad it's not too bad:)

·
19,408 Posts
I think you got a good price. Thinking back it was 2007 that I bought the grill:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts