VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got of the phone with the DVLA and nearly passed out! The poor man on the end of the line was close to getting a mouthfull, until I realised that it is not him that sets the Tax levels. At present my R32 is due to emmissions of 276 per Km, Band F, £220 per annum. High, but well I love my car so what the heck! The informative man then went on to explain that next year the R32 will be in Band M (the highest band) and will cost £440 per annum. What the F**k is going on with this country?!!! What with fuel prices etc my pride and joy is costing me an arm and a leg! I had better not let the Mrs find out or its bye bye R32 and hello Suzuki Alto!!

I do appreciate that there are downsides to having a high performance car, but for my car tax to double is not good!

Rant over.

Cheers,

JK:stupido2:

·
2,808 Posts
Im just shutting my eyes and sticking my fingers in my ears.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
It's certainly a p!ss take mate!

Let's hope the decision gets reversed before next year!

·
6,197 Posts
I think it will be changed......how can you buy a car 5 years ago and be charged more for it later down the line...... DISGUSTING TAX

·
2,808 Posts
Thing is, I honestly wouldnt mind paying this tax if it was pumped back into roadcare, there shouldnt be a pothole in the whole fookin country!

·
1,184 Posts
Rupo said:
Thing is, I honestly wouldnt mind paying this tax if it was pumped back into roadcare, there shouldnt be a pothole in the whole fookin country!
What he said:shot:

·
887 Posts
:withstupid:

we must have some of the worst roads in western Europe. Take the current wet weather - how many of you have been left unable to see for that scary second when you hit standing water on the motorway? Or how often have you been waiting for your tyre to burst after you've hit the mother of all potholes?

If our money was pumped back into improving the road network then I wouldn't have as much of an issue.

:mad:

·
402 Posts
Rupo said:
Well said. The roads around me are pretty shocking and makes the ride in the R a bit rough.

Tax, tax bloody tax - where is my free house and I (stupidly) smoke and drink too so I think I have part funded my local hospital over the years...:argh:

...rant over

·
3,281 Posts
Guys, guys, guys, you've all got it completely wrong!! Why do you all expect the revenue generated is going to be used to improve driving on our roads? The whole point of this MASSIVE taxing issue is to force drivers off the road and use public transport, why the hell would the government use the money to assist the motorist?

I don't know if I'm opening a can of worms here but I'm for usage tax. Why the hell should drivers of all cars and sizes pay the same in road tax as drivers who rarely use there vehicles?

IE If your a fcuking Prime Minister driving all over the country in your Jag burning fuel visiting your constituancies and blocking up the chuffing high street with your arsing motorcade, you should be paying 5 times more than Jimmy R32 who only takes his R out 3 weekends of the month!

Again (no disrespect to the reps among us) driving all over the country using the roads etc, they should (or the companies they work for) should pay far more tax than myself who only drives 5 miles to work and back. Discuss?

·
Registered
364 Posts
totally agree with the pay per use idea,

Cant complain about the higher tax though as I knew about it at purchase and have been paying more since it was introduced last year.

Work hard and pay all your money to the government. Live of the social and dont do any work and the goverment will pay you for the privelidge. nice but so very wrong.

·
180 Posts
Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)
18 Nov 2005 - 23 Mar 2006 £115.50 £210.00 F 259
23 Mar 2006 - £220.00 £400.00 G 255-259

Those are the current rates (Changing next April again). Mine is due in March so I'll have to fork out 400 notes.. but if my car was registered 6 weeks earlier I'd be paying 210. Never realised VW changed the car in that period to destroy 190 quids worth of ozones per year. Robbing gits.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Slapbladder said:
I think it will be changed......how can you buy a car 5 years ago and be charged more for it later down the line...... DISGUSTING TAX
Exactly my thoughts!

Fair enough do it for cars that are built now and in the future as at least people are aware tax is going to be high, but back dating it sucks.

My friend with a twin turbo supra is laughing at me ,as he well continue to pay £205, as his car is pre 2001!

·
Registered
364 Posts
When quizzed about the proposals in parliament last month, Brown told Conservative leader David Cameron that most families would not be hit by the rise.

"If the right honourable gentleman looks in detail at the proposal, he will see that the majority of drivers will benefit from it," Brown said at the time.
Brown does not appear to know his arse from his elbow and is clearly out of touch with his own partys policies and the effects of them.

·
1,036 Posts
topher said:
Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band CO2 (g/km)
18 Nov 2005 - 23 Mar 2006 £115.50 £210.00 F 259
23 Mar 2006 - £220.00 £400.00 G 255-259

Those are the current rates (Changing next April again). Mine is due in March so I'll have to fork out 400 notes.. but if my car was registered 6 weeks earlier I'd be paying 210. Never realised VW changed the car in that period to destroy 190 quids worth of ozones per year. Robbing gits.
Sorn the car for a week or so in say FEB, claim back tax for March then Re tax it for a year at lower rate, I know its only prelonging the time before the hit comes but thats what I am going to do.

·
2,808 Posts
I think they should tax junk food and sweets, that would stop all those food giants clogging up the NHS. (dont know how relevant that outburst is to this thread!)

don't know if I'm opening a can of worms here but I'm for usage tax. Why the hell should drivers of all cars and sizes pay the same in road tax as drivers who rarely use there vehicles?
Im on the other side, I use my car loads and I wouldnt want to be in the situation of being able to buy a car and then having to restrict my use of it because I couldnt afford the usage tax.

·
389 Posts
I'm also a 'pro' useage tax person I'm afraid, but only because I can't see a fairer way?

I've thought for a while that the best way of taxing motorists fairly is to just put the lot on fuel, if you use the car a lot to 'Kill the planet & Destroy the roads' then your paying your equal part as the person who uses their car once in a blue moon, after all, if you've got no fuel, your not gonna be using the car!

It also eliminates these ballbags who drive round with no Road Tax anyway, although how anyone can get away with it anymore given the current leaps and bounds in technology is beyond me. A poxy little traffic warden can drive round any city in the UK with a number plate recognition camera on his van and find probably hundreds of people with unpaid parking tickets. Yet 90% of the time you watch 'Police Action Craption' the reprobate driving the 'borrowed' car with no licence has no tax on it, this information coming from the Police database, why wasn't this flagged up when the form wasn't returned or declared SORN!?

Suppose the taxing on fuel doesn't really improve matters for these people who use their cars for motorsport (ie. Track/Rally only cars), but a simple licence or similar to buy tax free or cheaper fuel for that specific circumstance could work, however this would most probably be abused and then abolished.

I'm not an Anit-Green person, but this current CO2 Emission lark is getting on my tits personally, it's just the world governments latest way of 'one-upmanship' over each other, and in turn they preach it to us and make us pay for it. Global warming rubbish, this planets coped for millions of years adapting to the changing climates upon it, that's what it's built to do, it was only a good few years back everyone was parping on about global cooling, what happened to that? Charging motorists for putting out 'Dangerous' C02 emissions is horseshit really, I mean we probably breathe out more C02 in a year than our cars do.

Everyone has a whinge about tax though, and everyone's got their specific suggestions/ideas, but the world economy is in decline and the government need all the money they can get to keep us afloat, so they'll just tax us to death until we've got nowt left. The Uk is definately one of the worst for it, but I'm sure were not alone. The only thing we can hope and pray is that when labour get booted out this time round that the conservatives can try and make less of a mess, after all, what one improvement to the UK have we got to show since Labour have been in power? Well I suppose there's less dog shit on the streets, but that's only because they've been making their policies out of it...

Phew, It's Good To Vent, lol!

In a bit,
Leon.

·
748 Posts
For example so far this week since monday I have done 420 miles in the R gone through nearly two tanks of fuel as I have been pretty much balls out in every gear driving all over North Devon for work.

I had an amazing Journey from Bude via Launceston and Plymouth the other day weather was clear, Roads were empty, Traction Control was off and the V6 was singing (Anyone that knows the roads will know how much fun they are.)

I totally agree I should pay more then most on here as I use my R everyday. Luckily work pays my fuel so I get to enjoy the drive instead of watching the fuel gauge.

I agree the tax is stupid but at the same time I have no choice but to pay it as I want to have a nice car.

Don't even get me started on the Global Warming shit. It is a complete load of rubbish. If the UK stopped magically stopped all its Carbon output tomorrow it would have absolutely no effect on the world. Infact if every country stopped tomorrow again it would still have no effect. It has naff all to do with man made CO2 its all to do with the Sun, Sea etc....

Oh BTW one Cow does more damage to environment every year then a Range Rover V8 Supercharged. So are we going to go around culling cows? Ermmm noooooo. lol

·
3,281 Posts
Leon, loved your post, the Dog Sh't comparison was hilarious!!
Vealige, totally know what you mean about the A38 mate, love every part of the Landrake road. Lived in Plymouth all my life up untill 2002. Was one of the Series 1 RS Turbo boys who used Royal Parade, the Hoe and Union Street as a race track in my less 'Responsible' years and when the city wasn't full of speed bumps and cameras!!!!

Got the most out of Plymouth city council when I could!!! :lol:

·
748 Posts
jaysR32 said:
Leon, loved your post, the Dog Sh't comparison was hilarious!!
Vealige, totally know what you mean about the A38 mate, love every part of the Landrake road. Lived in Plymouth all my life up untill 2002. Was one of the Series 1 RS Turbo boys who used Royal Parade, the Hoe and Union Street as a race track in my less 'Responsible' years and when the city wasn't full of speed bumps and cameras!!!!

Got the most out of Plymouth city council when I could!!! :lol:
Hahahaha yeh all a bit different now, speed cameras and bumps everywhere. I can't go down the how anymore as they have put some monster humps down there now :argh:

Mind you it has stopped a lot of the chavs which isn't a bad thing I guess lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts