1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just renewing my car tax online and it says that i have to pay
6 months - £261.25
12 months - £475
But my car is DSG and i have the letter they sent out to me a week ago saying the costs are
6 months - £253
12 months - £460

Whats going on here?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just had the same, letter says £261 but had to pay £269 online for 6 months for my manual, I think because its April 1st the new tax kicks in, either that or it's a sick April fools joke,
I'm sure they said tax would stay the same this year though?!? I'm just as confused

·
198 Posts
what it is because the budget changed last month all the reminders are printed before the budget is changed and it says on the reminders something like this was printed before the changes made by the budget. so all the tax goes up from the first of april. you may also notice **** and other stuff has gone up a bit. its crap but it happens every year.
i only know this because i work in a post office and have to be the one to point this out to all the customers who can't read.
one more thing to screw drivers over!

·
1,357 Posts
what it is because the budget changed last month all the reminders are printed before the budget is changed and it says on the reminders something like this was printed before the changes made by the budget. so all the tax goes up from the first of april. you may also notice **** and other stuff has gone up a bit. its crap but it happens every year.
i only know this because i work in a post office and have to be the one to point this out to all the customers who can't read.
Do you get staff discount if you work in the post office??

·
198 Posts
Do you get staff discount if you work in the post office??
depends, if i refuse to pay for it and do it myself...

no, i can't even do my own car tax.

its pathetic. you would be supprised how many people think i get staff discount. i get nothing, not even cheap stamps.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Lol @ staff discount, its a Tax

Reactions: BManLDN

·
Registered
0 Posts
Road tax, tax that isnt spent on roads, government scrounging parasites.

Mine was £460 at the end of Jan for the year.

·
19,401 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
G

·
i had to renew min eon the budget day and i dont remember it going up, i still put a year on it at £460.00 and i actually started a thread a si didnt know whether to wait a day or two but ended up getting it and then hearing that it hadnt increased either lol

·
19,401 Posts
I would not grudge tax at all if our roads where like some European roads
I agree with your sentiments but when you look into it, many countries pay a lot more than we do to own a car plus have a lot more toll roads.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
I agree with your sentiments but when you look into it, many countries pay a lot more than we do to own a car plus have a lot more toll roads.
I'd be happy for everywhere to be a toll road, or on a pay per use basis. I know you wouldnt because you do crazy miles but i think for the vast majority of roads if they where private but monitored by the government many areas of our roads would be improved not just in maintenance

·
19,401 Posts
Even although I do high miles I wouldn't be against toll roads or even fuel duty increase in lieu of VED but in reality the government have an annual revenue figure that they need to maintain or increase so in reality there would just be even more stealth taxes like IPT and the likes..

The government would never change something and live with a decrease in revenue.

Bit heavy forvan Easter Monday:)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you are correct cheeky sods! Good old rip off Britain eh..

Attachments

·
26 Posts
I would not grudge tax at all if our roads where like some European roads
exactly and most of our roads are shocking.

Also the tax is so high because of the bigger engine size which i increasingly think is unfair when it all depends on your driving style. Im sure you have seen that episode of top gear with the M3 and Prius?!

And mine only does about 5K a year!!! Hardly fair paying £475!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts