VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carbon dipping is a fortune emailed a few places for 2 bits duin in engine bay on my R and got an email back from 1 of companys today and they want a fortune!

·
2,303 Posts
It's called hydro dipping and you have to get it spot on to look right really seen a few done well and a lot done really crap just get it vinyl wrapped

·
4,420 Posts
I dont think hydrographics is as bad as people are making out, but its better than vinyl, unless you want cheap

Also vinyl under the engine bay is a bad idea, the heat shrinks it from the engine as my dad found out the hard way

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's called hydro dipping and you have to get it spot on to look right really seen a few done well and a lot done really crap just get it vinyl wrapped
Thats 1 thing id never do now that looks shit lol from pics ive seen that carbon dipping i thought looks near as genuine as real carbon but id say each to there own on that 1 and every thinks different

·
4,328 Posts
it isn't as good as real carbon, but nowhere near as bad as people are making out. if you cant get the part you want skimmed in carbon then there is nothing wrong with hydro dipping, ie my brakes and skuttle panel and wiper blades etc

·
4,420 Posts
it isn't as good as real carbon, but nowhere near as bad as people are making out. if you cant get the part you want skimmed in carbon then there is nothing wrong with hydro dipping, ie my brakes and skuttle panel and wiper blades etc
completely agree

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
I have to say, it does look a little 'Halfords'. Not for me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pomme whats carbon skimming please? I was looking forward to geting it done but price scared me abit but now a few people aayin it looks crap scared me too lol if im guna have t pay 200-300 for wat i want doing wat price difference is carbon skimming u think?

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
Pomme whats carbon skimming please? I was looking forward to geting it done but price scared me abit but now a few people aayin it looks crap scared me too lol if im guna have t pay 200-300 for wat i want doing wat price difference is carbon skimming u think?
Carbon skinning is a process where genuine CF weave is applied to the surface, then with a clear coat on top and then baked to seal it all-can't tell the difference between them at all........

Thats the problem with dipping it just don't look like the real thing imo

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carbon skinning is a process where genuine CF weave is applied to the surface, then with a clear coat on top and then baked to seal it all-can't tell the difference between them at all........

Thats the problem with dipping it just don't look like the real thing imo
Ahhhh wel tbh i carnt see there bin a massive price difference and ad rather pay for that does any1 know were to get it done?

·
1,043 Posts
As said already, were all different and have different opinions...which is a good thing.. I believe if your having real carbon then you have a whole car in carbon, ie Noble M600 or the Koenigsegg Hundra etc. 2 wings and an ashtray cover ain't going to achieve much in weight saving. I have a few pieces on mine dipped which instead of spending silly money following the crowd and having real cf grill, diffuser etc...

This has left enough of my budget for a 650bhp engine.

I know what's going to give me more fun

Here's a few of my parts dipped which I wouldn't describe as shit looking.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As I have said previously Daz has set the bar on this CF styling and anything less isn't worth doing

All my parts carbon dipped was £140 and personally just livens up the black plastic parts, not all parts are shown here.
But I'm certainly not pretending its real carbon

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As said already, were all different and have different opinions...which is a good thing.. I believe if your having real carbon then you have a whole car in carbon, ie Noble M600 or the Koenigsegg Hundra etc. 2 wings and an ashtray cover ain't going to achieve much in weight saving. I have a few pieces on mine dipped which instead of spending silly money following the crowd and having real cf grill, diffuser etc...

This has left enough of my budget for a 650bhp engine.

I know what's going to give me more fun

Here's a few of my parts dipped which I wouldn't describe as shit looking.....

View attachment 13320

View attachment 13321

View attachment 13322

As I have said previously Daz has set the bar on this CF styling and anything less isn't worth doing

All my parts carbon dipped was £140 and personally just livens up the black plastic parts, not all parts are shown here.
But I'm certainly not pretending its real carbon
They look well! Were did u get those done please because if uv had tht done and cost u £140 im geting my eyes ripped out with a massive spike coz wat u want doing isnt much different want fuse box cover and front slam panel about headlights and got quoted £220

·
1,043 Posts
They look well! Were did u get those done please because if uv had tht done and cost u £140 im geting my eyes ripped out with a massive spike coz wat u want doing isnt much different want fuse box cover and front slam panel about headlights and got quoted £220
I had all 3 wipers done, scuttle panel, fr & rear vw badges, R32 badges and aerial mount done for this price. Their currently doing a few more pieces for me..... All info in my thread mate as linked below

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had all 3 wipers done, scuttle panel, fr & rear vw badges, R32 badges and aerial mount done for this price. Their currently doing a few more pieces for me..... All info in my thread mate as linked below
Cheers nochav ill have a look thanks

·
149 Posts
If you have something hydro dipped to look like carbon and it looks shit, it's because either you have chosen the wrong pattern/finish or the person doing it hasn't done a good job. I've had my mirrors, b-pillars and rear diffuser done and they look spot on.

My friend has a lot of OSIR parts on her TT and has a front splitter dipped and you can't tell the difference between them to look at + if the front splitter hits the tarmac there won't be as many tears.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have something hydro dipped to look like carbon and it looks shit, it's because either you have chosen the wrong pattern/finish or the person doing it hasn't done a good job. I've had my mirrors, b-pillars and rear diffuser done and they look spot on.

My friend has a lot of OSIR parts on her TT and has a front splitter dipped and you can't tell the difference between them to look at + if the front splitter hits the tarmac there won't be as many tears.
Were did u get it done if u dont mind me asking

And i think id leak a few tears if i payed OSIR prices lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts