VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking change cat/ catback exhaust next month , going to be from local exhaust maker , question is replacing the cats totally with a straight through pipe or not ?

Has any body done this on here ? not bothered by emmissions just interested in noise / bhp increase as i here the cats are very restrictive .... will be 3" tubes throughout .

Comments ?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
i have a decat on mine, only thing is that the engine management light is on, however the noise it makes more than makes up for it.

·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Wayne ,

is that on your RS ?

would the same happen on the golf ? is there a sensor that needs a "home" or is it the ecu picking up problems from somewhere else ?

·
4,328 Posts
The decat will bring up a engine management light unless the ecu has been adapted (there may be another way as well) becuase there are 4 lambda sensors on the car, two prior ot the cat and two post. So if you have no cat, there is no change for the seonsors to detect so they think the cats and bu**ered so light up.

Personally i wouldnt go decat unless you have a fiendly garage to do your mot.

·
616 Posts
You will get the fault code/light unless you have it disabled by someone that knows what they’re doing. And as Pomme says, the MOT is a PITA! I had to keep swapping my cat back for MOT's on my last car or a friendly MOT tester occasionally helped....

·
1,432 Posts
You can bypass the fault code/engine check light by fitting o2 sensor simulators which are available from the following website. Im sure a company in the UK can supply the same thing. Basically they replicate what the engine wants to hear from the sensor so you dont get a CEL (check engine light):

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html

First click the link above and scroll down, click on the o2 simulator connector chart and verify that the R32 o2 sensor/lambda probe is one of the types listed then order as many as required.

Hope this help.

·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Gents,

guess no one else has decatted their R32 then , i do have a friendly mot'er but if the noise level is really increased i wouldn't be up for it anyhow as it will be louder without the in-line silencer behind the cats .... not really interested in waking the dead , my R1 bike can do that .......

thanks for the comments + linky's will have a think on it ...

sp

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Wayne has de-catted but if you go for a milltek non resonated, sports cat and manifolds it's going to be way loud enough.

·
1,105 Posts
you can also just loosen/unscrew the lambda sensor out a bit so less of the sensor is protruding into the exhaust, this should give a lower reading and get rid of the cel

hafizur

·
1,432 Posts
Supersprint do an R32 decat, effectively just a pipe whereas the likes of Milltek and a few others do a cat replacement pipe which is still a catalytic converter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts