VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys

Ran into the dreaded PCV diaphragm deteriation in the unit inside the cylinder head cover. Rough hunting idle, engine management light etc.

Really want to avoid stripping the whole lot down and getting spanked for 7 hours labour and a whole new cover.

From reading up and being a lurker on here and other forums, I see a few have oil catch cans fitted. Now could this be used to bypass the pcv in a way? Has anyone done this with some success?

If not, I'll have to bite the bullet, but maybe someone here has found a way around it thats an alternative.

Pics attached so you know what I'm talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
RKXTech was where I sourced mine! Diaphragm was noticeably sturdier than OEM. Yeah, lengthy DIY but if following the guide it’s time consuming with everything that must come off to access valve cover but straightforward. Buying the $30 diaphragm beat a new valve cover and labor for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Edit: RKXTech won't work for mine, I watched their video , I don't have that, that's the piece I ordered and it was wrong. Mines different than everyone else's?

I ran into me wanting a new piece of plastic in here that isn't 160k and brittle and having to worry about big pot holes and it breaking off in the motor... I'll check this out thanks

I was also curious if I deleted it and just did a catch can outside the valve cover if that's fine. If I'd throw a code etc

I ordered the wrong part so it's hand tight waiting now, , valve cover nla, so is this piece inside, none can find the part number anywhere even
Helmet Wood Metal Font Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Gas Cooking Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
279 Posts
@Hedgehodge , That one is an MK4 type, isn't it? It feeds into the intake pre-throttle, so it doesn't have a regulator diaphragm, just the plate and gauze.

The MK5 has the Diaphragm built into the cover and goes into the intake AFTER the throttle, so sees full manifold vacuum and has a regulator built in.

If the MK5 type fails, you can fit the external Touareg type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts