VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pal stuck his A3 3.2 2003 into a garage today and its throwing up a fault (sorry for the vagueness). Basically said the cam and crank isn't aligned anymore. And that it was running rich, also it was down on power.

Sorry for the vague diag, ill get codes tomorrow

·
168 Posts
Chain stretch can normally be diagnosed in measuring blocks 208 & 209, anything over 8 is out of tolerance.
Can be an expensive job though as the engine normally comes out.
I had my old one done at the main dealers, it was well over 3k but they changed everything. Glad I didn't pay!

·
1,064 Posts
had my freind round today his had the same kind of faults
three in all crank plus both cam out of line
only has 62k on the clock
couldnt remember the measuring blocks off the top of my head so didnt do it

only came round so i could dump the epprom off his clocks to fix someone else i knows clock
the other boys r32 has 72k and it's fine

one thing my freind did say it's been on a longlife service

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
had my freind round today his had the same kind of faults
three in all crank plus both cam out of line
only has 62k on the clock
couldnt remember the measuring blocks off the top of my head so didnt do it

only came round so i could dump the epprom off his clocks to fix someone else i knows clock
the other boys r32 has 72k and it's fine

one thing my freind did say it's been on a longlife service
Exactly! Cam and crank where not correlating, as a result fuelling was all to flip. The other strange thing was the A3 has no rev limiter at all, its disappeared, unrelated?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
sorry to hijack the thread, i had mine scanned the other day by a friend and one was -4 and the other +5 i believe is this okay the cars done 95K ....

Wez

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R32_Wez said:
sorry to hijack the thread, i had mine scanned the other day by a friend and one was -4 and the other +5 i believe is this okay the cars done 95K ....

Wez
Yeah, there are many variables that will alter the reading but that's fine

·
Registered
168 Posts
Chain stretch can normally be diagnosed in measuring blocks 208 & 209, anything over 8 is out of tolerance.
Can be an expensive job though as the engine normally comes out.
I had my old one done at the main dealers, it was well over 3k but they changed everything. Glad I didn't pay!
so are these something you can keep an eye on on vagcom to monitor chain?

·
168 Posts
Yes you can check periodically however the chain on my A3 rattled and that was only around 6.
I did buy a mk4 a few years ago and that was diagnosed with chain stretch, it was at 9. The car went back to the dealer for a refund!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts