VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I'm buying an .:R later this year (so excited!). My question is... The R32 is quite a stealthy/classy car so do you go un-noticed or does every Corsa you meet want a traffic light Grand Prix? Or, is the attention (if any) more from Audi/BMW owners or Scooby/Evo owners or other modern hot hatch drivers?

Basically, do you get "hassle" and if so, who from? My reason for asking is that I think a little attention can be fun (admit it) but I don't want lunatics tailgating and trying to run me off the road at every opportunity!

·
1,222 Posts
TBH, I don't really get many cars up my backside! The ones that do are normally cars that would not stand a chance against the my R32.

Maybe they want to say "I gave an R32 run for it money, and it had to pull over"

9.99 times out of ten I just pull over or can't be bothered as I know that I have the badge on the back of my car that states " If I wanted to then I could" However cars like Subaru, EVO, M3 I don't even bother.
(Unless people on this forum have a whip round for a FT450 HPA Turbo) :ridinghorse: I would not be offended, I promise.

I think that the MK4 will attract more Chavs/Boy Racers than the MK5 as the MK4 is more Hard core while the MK5 is more grown up.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
every car that i deem as being worthy of a race, gets it and so far, touch wood, 100% of the drivers have been cool and talked about it at the next possible area. cars include, 350z, evo 7, a few imprezas, couple of m3's.

there are some ass wipes about, i generally just dont bother as zirc said or i smoke them so hard they darent look at you when they go past lol

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
As above, you'll find that most of them just point an have a good luck, Its very rare tbh that they even try, think they seem scared.

Reckon if you had a scooby you'd get more unwanted attention

the occasional 1.4 corsa has a go, but without tryin there a spec in the mirro, and they always leave it after that, think its just "lets see how much quicker it is" type of thing.

So in answer , its very stealth

·
748 Posts
Only really had one with my R and that was a MkIV GTi - dont know whether it was chipped or not, I suspect it may have been. Accelerated away from it in fourth not expecting any race, but then it started closing me down so I carried on the acceleration past a ton and it started to disappear... :fight:

·
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the detailed replies guys, interesting stuff. So what you're really saying is that the car generally evokes feelings of intrigue and wonder rather than aggression :D

I've been toying with the idea of de-badging. From the back the only giveaway would be the two tailpipes in the middle and I would guess this would make it almost invisible to all except bonafide car nuts wouldn't it?

Anyone else have any experience(s). It would be great to build up a broader picture. Like everyone on here I enjoy my driving, and I like having a bit of fun with other keen drivers where it's safe to do so. The one thing I really don't want is people up my a$se on my way to work each morning. I don't have to burn off at the lights, I don't have to out accelerate someone on the dual track but what I can't avoid is having someone dangerously close behind (apart from slowing down to 20mph to pi$$ them off). I think I'm starting to ramble now so I'll stop...

·
171 Posts
I get looks all the time but that may be because its a blonde bird driving a decent car ;)

I cant really say I have anyone in typical 'boy racer' cars (ie a 1.2 engine with so much stuff added it goes like a 1.0 anyway) tryng to play but in my last car (which was heavily modified looks wise) I used to get loads....think most of them know they not got the chance and just gawp with jealousy :p

With the more 'upper market 'boy racery' cars I just get the odd checking the car out look and sometimes a smile/thumbs up

I deffo agree with the comment made about getting more hassle with a mk4 than a mk5 tho. When I was looking my opinion (and a lot of others I talked too) are that the mk5 is a more serious (god, I know im gonna offend someone here now!) 'older' persons car. But that could be due to the price...most ppl my age can only just stretch to the price of a mk4, yet alone a mk5!

·
3,732 Posts
its a daily thing for me, i use the a30 quite a bit which is just one long dual road, i dont drive like a nutter but even if i overtake something at low speeds they like to have a go. i dont mind, i rarely rise to it. the car gets alot of looks, alot... but nothing aggressive, its a respected car and i think the majority are unsure of its power so like to see what it can do

...like the polo gti that pestered me yesterday until i had no choice but to school him just so i could carry on my journey unpestered

i think the mk5 is deffo more stealth, the mk4 does kind of scream for attention. but that suits me fine :D

·
748 Posts
Emma said:
I get looks all the time but that may be because its a blonde bird driving a decent car ;)

What's the car got to do with it?!?

the mk5 is a more serious (god, I know im gonna offend someone here now!) 'older' persons car. But that could be due to the price...most ppl my age can only just stretch to the price of a mk4, yet alone a mk5!
Age related in my case 'cos I couldnt afford one till now!

·
1,084 Posts
I plan on debadging mine when it arrives. (Although I may just leave the .:R).

I used to have a Polo G40, which is IMHO, one of the ultimate Q-cars. I put POLO_CL badges on the rear. It was well funny seeing the looks on peoples faces if they tried to step up.:reddy: I didn't go as far as fitting steel wheels though.

A mate with a debadged Mk4 V6 4Mo, didn't like my suggestion of putting the letters back to say MOFO.

I would fit TDI badges to the R, if the exhausts weren't such a giveaway.

Maybe the Mk5 doesn't make me as old and sensible as I thought it would.

J.

·
748 Posts
Tokyo Dub said:
used to have a Polo G40, which is IMHO, one of the ultimate Q-cars. I put POLO_CL badges on the rear. It was well funny seeing the looks on peoples faces if they tried to step up.:reddy: I didn't go as far as fitting steel wheels though.
Had a race once in my ol' V64Mo with a G40 - didn't realise at first what the heck it was!
Both belting along at over a ton - got a wave at the end which was nice!:itsme:

·
616 Posts
I think the R is quite stealthy..... to an extent! I don't even bother with boy racers, they are silly drivers. Now if it's a porsche or something that's going to give me a run then I'll put my foot down!

·
1,084 Posts
I was always a friendly chap, but it wasn't me.

I must admit I used to enjoy embarassing the London 'city boys' who bought 180bhp TT's when they first came out. Especially when they were trying to show off the car to the girl in the passenger seat.

The corsa/saxo boys :captain: didn't get any acknowledgement though.

Man, I miss that car (but not the brakes).

J.

·
3,732 Posts
Tokyo Dub said:
I would fit TDI badges to the R, if the exhausts weren't such a giveaway
be careful, if you have an accident the car technically will be misrepresenting itself (claiming to be something its not) and could invalidate your insurance in a claim.

loving the MOFO idea.. thats a must do :D

·
616 Posts
Very Cherry said:
be careful, if you have an accident the car technically will be misrepresenting itself (claiming to be something its not) and could invalidate your insurance in a claim.

loving the MOFO idea.. thats a must do :D
Yeah, very true! I sold a Mk3 1.4 SE with Gti 16V badges on it. The guy who bought it hit another car, did a lot of damage and they wouldn't pay out due to the badges..... Oops!

·
171 Posts
JayCee said:
Age related in my case 'cos I couldnt afford one till now!
haha I probs still really cant afford mine, but I'd rather go wothout the handbags and shoes like most girls to be able to scrape by ;)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
not had any attention in mine yet! but havent driven in the places im most likely to get it, and im going to be the perfect target for the chavs being only just 21 they will want a go, just blip of the throttle if they are next to me might make them think twice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts