VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
What do you use to clean the engine bay?greasy figure marks and grit and dirt everywhere
Quite a novice when it comes to cleaning under bonnet so any help appreciated

·
Registered
363 Posts
I tend to use Autosmart G101 degreaser on everything, brush it in with a detailing brush and give it a quick flick over of water to clean it off. Then i dress all the plastics,trims in Auto Finesse Revive, and it comes up lovely!

Alot of people also use Aerospace 303 protectant, spray it on once you have cleaned it, shut the bonnet and jobs a goodun!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just use WD-40.

Spray it on all the plastics, enough to get it all "wet" but not too much that its dripping and then buff off with a cotton rag or paper towels.

10 minute tops.

·
5,500 Posts
Hey guys
What do you use to clean the engine bay?greasy figure marks and grit and dirt everywhere
Quite a novice when it comes to cleaning under bonnet so any help appreciated
Something like gunk off (or is it gunk on?! lol) from halfords, for the tough greasy bits if the engine's never been cleaned before.

Get the engine warmed up, then get a cheap set narrowish paint brushes, paint on the gunk on cleaner stuff.

Work it in, use as much as u need, agitate, elbow grease, and then gently rinse off with hose pipe.

Always always avoid getting water near the coils and spark plugs

Try to avoid getting the electrical connectors elsewhere too wet, but it's not too much of a problem if it's a light splashing.

You'll probably need to clean it a few sessions, as there's almost always bits that you'll miss

Finally you can tart up the black plastics and rubber hoses with tyre shine spray of some sort.

·
587 Posts
Any generic household degreaser is fine for the engine bay. The difficulty is working it around all the parts. I use a few paintbrushes to go over the surfaces and then a light rinse with a watering can/ hosepipe or the pressure washer (without the pressure obviously!). Then dry with an old mf towel.

You can use back to black or any plastic/ tyre gels to enhance the appearance afterwards but I don't normally bother.

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille Hood

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.