VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Mk5 R32 with manual gearbox - new in March 2007. The car has covered 4,500 miles, and apart from the horrendous number of rattles inside the car, I've been noticing that the gearbox has been getting more notchy along with vibrations felt through the clutch pedal.

Over the last couple of days, stuck in traffic, i've been noticing increasingly heavy vibration through the clutch pedal - particularly under load at around 2000-2500rpm, but also as you dip the pedal by 1-2cm. Also, when running over potholes, speedbumps, etc i'm aware of something sounding loose under the car at the front, and the same noise can also be heard sometimes on changing gear (more of a 'clunk').

The car has used around 1.5 litres of Castrol Edge to date also - is this excessive ?

I'd appreciate some direction so that I can hold an intelligent conversation with my local dealer next week (if that's possible !)

Many thanks in advance

Matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd get it up on a ramp asap. sounds as tho something is coming loose under the car.

As for the oil useage that sounds a lot to me but it maybe with it been a brand new car. my cars 4 years old and it doesn't use a drop.

can you see any oil stain under the bonnet or drips where the cars been parked. That will till you if you have a leak or wheather the oil is been burnt or leaking internally.

matthew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you find out what the issue was?
I am having the same problem with a late 08 model manual and I am seeing the technicians tomorrow.
cheers
Bill

·
530 Posts
Anyone else had the above issue - post is old. Was getting similar issues (I think) so wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this? and what they did to srt it.

·
530 Posts
Anyone that can advise on the above? Have booked my car into the dealers and will be going on a test drive with the tech, so wanted to be competent to explain the issue to him and get technical if need be

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Hi Chohan.

As you have you'r car booked in I would say go for a test drive and see how you get on and if the stealers have another car the same as your's take that out with the tech

Just a thought though .

·
2 Posts
I have had a similar problem on my 04, located the noise to the flywheel area so with that in mind ordered a new SRE flywheel and clutch and new release Bering. with that in mind started the job to find that the bolts for the flywheel had all come undone, now mine was bad do to parts being held up by customs and i had a lot of damage in the gearbox housing. but if it is that it needs sorting quick.

Regards dave

·
6,197 Posts
davey boy said:
I have had a similar problem on my 04, located the noise to the flywheel area so with that in mind ordered a new SRE flywheel and clutch and new release Bering. with that in mind started the job to find that the bolts for the flywheel had all come undone, now mine was bad do to parts being held up by customs and i had a lot of damage in the gearbox housing. but if it is that it needs sorting quick.

Regards dave
Christ you were lucky!.....6000rpm spinning 16/17lb metal disc if it had come off worst case would have smashed the bell housing and prob cut through the front of the car!!!!!!

PS read this post.....
http://www.r32oc.com/performance-technical/15811-help.html#post173125

·
6,197 Posts
why are you worried? I said worst case......it would be making a hell of a racket and the engine would be running like a bag of spanners with the balance completely off.....a little rattle is fine just means the flywheel is tired.....a sound like someone hitting the bellhousing with a sledge hammer start to worry lol....... AND I don't want this post to start people worrying like the scare mongering over the vague readings from cam sensors ;) YOU WILL BE FINE!

·
530 Posts
ha well lets hope its not as severe as that - its just a vibration feeling, can feel it now on the throttle pedal also, its almost like a buzz feeling under the foot. Seeing as I'm not that technical, didnt want the tech taking me for a ride - but it feels like the drivetrain is playing - would'nt have a clue which part. I'm hoping it's not serious, like issue with the engine, as it still pulls off like a beauty!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts