VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've had the stop, coolant warning after starting the car for the first time in a few weeks. (had the warning once a few months back in the cold weather, but the level seemed OK at the time, if a little low)

Looking under the bonnet, my coolant is about 1cm below the indicated low mark on the tank now.

Sounds like a leak, or is this just due to lack of use? Should I just top up with g12 and carry on, or get it seen to by a garage asap?

If it's likely a leak, can anyone point me to the common culprits?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
James03 said:
Hi all,

I've had the stop, coolant warning after starting the car for the first time in a few weeks. (had the warning once a few months back in the cold weather, but the level seemed OK at the time, if a little low)

Looking under the bonnet, my coolant is about 1cm below the indicated low mark on the tank now.

Sounds like a leak, or is this just due to lack of use? Should I just top up with g12 and carry on, or get it seen to by a garage asap?

If it's likely a leak, can anyone point me to the common culprits?

Thanks!
Common culprits on a 10 yr old mk Iv are radiator, corner, or temp sensor clip

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
4,420 Posts
top it up, drive around and keep an eye on the level for a few days, if it drops again get it seen to, if you get the stop sign, do what it says

i had this when i bought it and it was a faulty temperature sensor

·
19,407 Posts
First thing to do is top it up when stone cold to the max level with G12++ and check the level regularly when the car is stone cold. If the level starts to drop have the system pressure tested for leaks.

The level varies a lot due to temperature so only checkbwhen stone cold for consistency.

Reactions: MIQ

·
19,407 Posts
Just in case you go to your dealer to buy some G12 plus plus, the latest is called G13 and is perfectly safe to mix with the variants of G12.

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Cheempeej said:
Also never add cold water to hot coolant!!
And never open header bottle when hot

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Lol

·
4,420 Posts
dont teach your granny how to suck eggs

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha! Thanks all. I've left it too late to buy G12++ (or G13) from the dealer this weekend. I've found stuff called 'G40' in an independent parts place, which is supposed to be the same spec, but there are people suggesting online that I definitely don't want to mix anything else with the real VW stuff (they say it goes sludgy...)

Best bet to wait to buy from the dealer next week, or just go for the aftermarket stuff and mix it?

·
19,407 Posts
If it was me i would wait and get the VAG stuff.

When i use it, i mix it 50:50 with de=ionised water but if your only adding a small amount it's fine to add neat.

·
198 Posts
I had the same problem this week. Just taken most of the plastic off to try and find where the source of the phantom leak was. Have only found one possibility, when my garage have taken the plastic trim from around the headlight they hasn't clipped it in so the top hose has been rubbing on a jagged peice of plastic but its not split. Taken the car for a run and no drop in temperature, no liquid lost. Very strange. Just going to keep my eye on it.

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
cjtdavenport said:
I had the same problem this week. Just taken most of the plastic off to try and find where the source of the phantom leak was. Have only found one possibility, when my garage have taken the plastic trim from around the headlight they hasn't clipped it in so the top hose has been rubbing on a jagged peice of plastic but its not split. Taken the car for a run and no drop in temperature, no liquid lost. Very strange. Just going to keep my eye on it.
Some times if you take it for a spirited run (drive it like you stole it)

The car will automatically drop a bit out of
The overflow to take pressure off the components

·
198 Posts
Some times if you take it for a spirited run (drive it like you stole it)

The car will automatically drop a bit out of
The overflow to take pressure off the components

Yeh well the day before it had the mystery lack of coolent i took it for a nice 20 mile spirited drive. But should that loose a lot of the coolent and then bring the warning light in?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts