VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just had my front wishbones changed last week on my mk5 R and yesterday my car started creaking when i turn or pull away ? what should i be checking on the wishbone (im assuming its that as that's the only work Ive had done in that section recently) it normally happens at slow speeds but it could possibly do it at high speeds but i just cant hear it over the purr of the engine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
* bump *

did you find any more info

I have this - groaning / creaking when spinning the wheel to the left at low speeds / stationary and occasional clicking / twanging. Had top mounts checked and no play or movement

apparently it is the springs - play / turning, and building up tension.

need to understand more

·
288 Posts
Nope i cant find where my noise is coming from ive checked everything, sometimes it sounds like its coming from the left then the right and sometimes in the middle, im at a loss......

When i had the front of the car up on trolly jacks and i turned the wheel left and right i heard nothing.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Did you go poly bushes? If so it sounds like they've not been greased correctly.

·
2,204 Posts
* bump *

did you find any more info

I have this - groaning / creaking when spinning the wheel to the left at low speeds / stationary and occasional clicking / twanging. Had top mounts checked and no play or movement

apparently it is the springs - play / turning, and building up tension.

need to understand more
Twanging would suggest a seized top mount bearing causing the spring to twist rather than rotate. You say you had the top mounts checked. Checked as in visually, or dismantled and physically checked? If there is no load on the top mounts, then it won't do it if the car is jacked up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Twanging would suggest a seized top mount bearing causing the spring to twist rather than rotate. You say you had the top mounts checked. Checked as in visually, or dismantled and physically checked? If there is no load on the top mounts, then it won't do it if the car is jacked up.
not sure actually - think they were visually checked while the car was on its wheels, one mechanic checking while the other turned the wheels

apparently I have non-VW springs on the front too

·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Managed to get good access to under my car today while it was up on hydraulic car ramp getting my LPG checked, i noticed the console bush bracket on the wish bone which should have 3 nuts either side only has 2 nuts either side, looks like they sheared off the nuts when changing the wishbone's which could explain the knocking creaking sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts