VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Since I moved in to my new house in July 2013 my road has had 10+ cars damaged on it. This has happened on more than one occasion now and last night I had to call the police 3 times as small groups of youths were kicking the fence/gates surrounding my property, damaging cars on the road and then running off. My car is parked on my driveway behind closed gates but there's still the hassle of putting fence panels back into their slots in the morning and checking for damage to the panels. Last night I didn't get to bed until 6am and I'd rather just have a security system to take care of most of this hassle. When I lived with my parents we got so fed up with the criminal damage and abuse that we bought 3 CCTV cameras linked up to a DVR. Unfortunately the infrared cameras weren't quite good enough quality to get convictions (damn CPS) but were enough to bring certain people in for questioning which in turn stopped the hassle we had suffered for many years. Last night the police weren't too happy with me for confronting the group of 4 seventeen year olds as I was putting myself in "danger". The trouble is even when I was on the phone to the police telling them I was with the group they rushed to get here for my "safety" and still took over 15 mins. I did say to her no disrespect but if I don't go out and tell the 4 of them to "sit still or else" then by the time the police arrive they could be in Spain. She replied that it would be very unlikely they would find them without me stopping them but that my health was more important. It just gets to the point where you don't really care tbh.
Ok so I have used the search and found other topics regarding CCTV but I have some more in depth questions that I'm hoping one or two experts might be able to help with.

CCTV
  1. Can you name a website/company you have or would specifically use
  2. What sort of quality and zoom ability is required to get good facial and number plate shots at both day and night (I believe ANPR is needed for number plates at night)
  3. Is the zoom ability only for live footage or can you play back footage and use the zoom to identify people after (my parents zoom would completely distort the face during playback)
  4. Is facial distortion when zooming caused by Digital zoom as opposed to Optical zoom?
  5. Can anyone recommend a specific camera they have/would purchase for outdoor usage, both day and night?
  6. Camera video and power cables are more expensive than cat5e cables but it appears the cat5e is for video only. How does this work in terms of power? Am I reading too much into the fact that the premade cables state video and power whereas the cat5e states video.
  7. Is there any technical advice I should know about when purchasing? E.g. motion flow, zooming, day/night abilities, lenses or something more technical like processing parts of the camera (I'm just guessing really)
  8. Are there any systems I should be specifically wary of or any systems that are particularly good?

Lighting
  1. I've noticed street lights are now being replaced with these new bright white very clear energy efficient heads. Are these LED? If not what?
  2. Is LED the way to go for motion sensor lighting?
  3. I don't really want the lights on full time, can sensors for security lights be placed in a different position to the actual light or do you need a different setup? (could you place a sensor at one end of the garden and the light at the other)
  4. How bright is too bright, I've only ever seen people with Halogen spotlights on a sensor and they are often very bright (which is good as the brighter the better imo). Is the brightness of LED lights measured in the same way as Halogen (wattage)
  5. I personally want the property to be dark until someone walks past and sets off the motion sensor. Are there any rules on how bright or where the lights point? I am planning on having the sensor on a timer so that the sensor won't be tripped before say 10PM but after 10PM if someone walks by the lights come on for x seconds.
  6. Can multiple spotlights be linked to the same sensor or to multiple sensors? For example if you have 3 spotlights pointing at 3 parts of the property and any 1 of the 3 sensors is tripped can all 3 lights come on?
  7. Will spotlights effect the quality of the cameras at night (I would assume they would increase the cameras visibility but could they hamper the quality by instantly turning night into day)
On a side note robotic security lights look pretty cool. They are tripped by a motion sensor and then shine an LED light at the person and then follow them until they walk away from the property. Anyone got one of these or know someone with one?

Alarm

Can you get an alarm that beeps inside the house when someone trips a sensor for a spotlight or when they enter the driveway? I'd quite like to have a very small flat screen in the lounge but only glance over at it when an alarm beeps to signal motion.

Audio

Can you get a microphone placed in the driveway to pick up and record audio to the same DVR as the cameras? Is this worth it? Normally it's pretty quiet at night so I'm guessing you'd be able to pick up voices pretty easy.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
What a nightmare. have you bought this house?
no lol I covered in great deal why I couldn't afford a house in that homeowners thread but atm kind of glad I don't own it
. Ironically I live in a category A postcode for crime, shows how bad the rest of the country must be :/ The reason I still need a system is because when I buy my own house it will be local as it's a very nice area and all my clients are local.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
2,018 Posts

·
2,803 Posts

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Free laser eye treatment lol

·
2,204 Posts
Lol, those laser pens are illegal as they are many times stronger than the UK limit, but obviously they don't tell you that in the listing

Some kid was blinded in one eye by one of them, so they've raided a few of the UK sellers recently.

If you're renting I would look at moving personally. If you're jumping up to the window every time you hear a noise, cameras won't stop that.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol, those laser pens are illegal as they are many times stronger than the UK limit, but obviously they don't tell you that in the listing

Some kid was blinded in one eye by one of them, so they've raided a few of the UK sellers recently.

If you're renting I would look at moving personally. If you're jumping up to the window every time you hear a noise, cameras won't stop that.
I only moved less than 2 months ago lol

·
2,204 Posts
Think of your stress levels chap
A bit of pain moving again is less stressful in the long run!

I feel your pain though. I used to live in a terraced street and people blocked my drive regularly, and worse. One summer night with the window open, I heard loud voices outside. I tried to ignore it as I thought it was just someone having a quick chat outside the house, but an hour later and still hearing it, I looked out the window only to find 4 chavs sitting on my fence, with their feet resting on my car drinking and smoking. On my f'in drive!!

I got up and moved them on, got the usual verbal from them etc etc.

I put the house up for sale the following morning. But it was 3 years of paranoia and stress. After I moved I kicked myself for leaving it so long as the difference in stress levels / quality of life was amazing.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea there's nowhere else to move to really. If I do move it will be to somewhere much worse :/

·
3,242 Posts
Lights can be run linked with sensors and they will all go once at the same tym. Just spur off one light(that directly linked to the sensor) to the other two lights. Like 1 switch(sensors) for 3 lights or you could have them individual circuits
ie:
1 switch(sensors) for 1 lights.

For a alert noise inside the house when the sensors trigger, it can happen & be dun.
Just take a connection running from the sensor to sounder.

Downside hell alot of cables and running/hiding cables.
PIR(Passive Infa-Red) (can cock up due to weather)
COST
The sensors can be trigger by stupid thing such a fox or a frog.
Your CCTV Images/Recorderings may not be worth a sh#t in court.

Like said above yer renting, not worth the full hassle.
Put dummys up.
The dome one are best cause ppl can't tell if there moving or not.

Dnt quote me on this but the tracking automatic search light your talking about,
Need the full floor/ground covered in sensors to track the actually target. (as it moves to each sensors as it triggered)

Hope that helps bud.

Regards
Vrt

·
237 Posts
1.where are you based? As it would help for finding a company.

2. You need an IR camera to handle both day and night, one with decent lux levels and and a good zoom capability.

3. I would recommend getting a ptz (pan tilt zoom) camera which allows you to move the camera and zoom into objects. If you have a fixed static camera then u will only be able to use digital zoom in playback which basically just blows up the image causing pixelation.
(9
4. Axis HD IP cameras are good but are very expensive for a home setup so i would probably reccommend vantage dome ranges.

5. Ready made camera and power leads are just there purely for ease to the installer. cat5e is perfectly good for sending both video and power and both can be sent down the one cable so you have one cable per camera. Eg brown pair 12v blue pair 0v, video can be done over one pair or 2.

6.most decent cameras have everything you really need therea nothing specific you need to ask for. Just make sure it an IR camera with a good zoom capability. HD camera would be ideal.

7. Concept Pro DVRs are decent and can be networked to use anywhere around the world, iphones etc if set up properly.

As for lighting, a fixed light would be ideal with a solenoid so the light comes on when light levels hit a certain level. But a garden light would that goes om when a sensor is tripped.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lights can be run linked with sensors and they will all go once at the same tym. Just spur off one light(that directly linked to the sensor) to the other two lights. Like 1 switch(sensors) for 3 lights or you could have them individual circuits
ie:
1 switch(sensors) for 1 lights.

For a alert noise inside the house when the sensors trigger, it can happen & be dun.
Just take a connection running from the sensor to sounder.

Downside hell alot of cables and running/hiding cables.
PIR(Passive Infa-Red) (can cock up due to weather)
COST
The sensors can be trigger by stupid thing such a fox or a frog.
Your CCTV Images/Recorderings may not be worth a sh#t in court.

Like said above yer renting, not worth the full hassle.
Put dummys up.
The dome one are best cause ppl can't tell if there moving or not.

Dnt quote me on this but the tracking automatic search light your talking about,
Need the full floor/ground covered in sensors to track the actually target. (as it moves to each sensors as it triggered)

Hope that helps bud.

Regards
Vrt
Hi thxs for the reply. I know I'm renting but it's going to be years before I can buy (if ever) and when I do buy I will want CCTV there to. My parents live behind and their old CCTV managed to get a prosecution in court (next door were robbed at 3am) but other incidents were thrown out by CPS. So I know it's not ideal but their kit is 7 or more years old and was by no means top of the range.

Apologies if I'm misreading you and you have already answered my question but what I want is 3 lights with 3 sensors at all entry points (Front, Side and Rear) if someone enters the front then all 3 lights (front, side and rear) go off from the front sensor. Then the same for the side and rear. If you enter any of the 3 access points all 3 lights go off (even though you're only tripping one sensor).

For an alarm I'd need to buy one and wire it into each sensor? Are all sensors compatible with this? Where would I get an alarm like that?

Finally do I not want PIR? What's the best option?

·
3,242 Posts
L_O_Z said:
Hi thxs for the reply. I know I'm renting but it's going to be years before I can buy (if ever) and when I do buy I will want CCTV there to. My parents live behind and their old CCTV managed to get a prosecution in court (next door were robbed at 3am) but other incidents were thrown out by CPS. So I know it's not ideal but their kit is 7 or more years old and was by no means top of the range.

Apologies if I'm misreading you and you have already answered my question but what I want is 3 lights with 3 sensors at all entry points (Front, Side and Rear) if someone enters the front then all 3 lights (front, side and rear) go off from the front sensor. Then the same for the side and rear. If you enter any of the 3 access points all 3 lights go off (even though you're only tripping one sensor).

For an alarm I'd need to buy one and wire it into each sensor? Are all sensors compatible with this? Where would I get an alarm like that?

Finally do I not want PIR? What's the best option?
Yes you can wire in that all lights go on if anysensors is trigged.
Same as lighting circuits you can just loop all the sensors together.

Thinking of U(wif 6 points.
One side has 3 senors
The other Side has lights.

PIR Sensors can can be set off wif bad weather.
Pressure Sensors are good but only cover a certain area
I was in the electrical side of construction never went down the alarm but have a rough concept of how it work.

Regards
Vrt

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1.where are you based? As it would help for finding a company.

2. You need an IR camera to handle both day and night, one with decent lux levels and and a good zoom capability.

3. I would recommend getting a ptz (pan tilt zoom) camera which allows you to move the camera and zoom into objects. If you have a fixed static camera then u will only be able to use digital zoom in playback which basically just blows up the image causing pixelation.
(9
4. Axis HD IP cameras are good but are very expensive for a home setup so i would probably reccommend vantage dome ranges.

5. Ready made camera and power leads are just there purely for ease to the installer. cat5e is perfectly good for sending both video and power and both can be sent down the one cable so you have one cable per camera. Eg brown pair 12v blue pair 0v, video can be done over one pair or 2.

6.most decent cameras have everything you really need therea nothing specific you need to ask for. Just make sure it an IR camera with a good zoom capability. HD camera would be ideal.

7. Concept Pro DVRs are decent and can be networked to use anywhere around the world, iphones etc if set up properly.

As for lighting, a fixed light would be ideal with a solenoid so the light comes on when light levels hit a certain level. But a garden light would that goes om when a sensor is tripped.
1. Im on the south coast mate

2. Is IR the same as PIR or can you get non passive? What lux lvls and zoom do you recommend?

3. So a ptz camera is needed for optical zoom on playback? A ptz camera is one that runs off a joystick that you can move remotely? If so I didn't really want that.

4. I'll have a look

5. Ok I'll prob go for cat5e as it looks a lot cheaper than ready made cables and you can buy off the role.

6. Is there specific smart systems where you can upgrade parts as time goes by without replacing the entire kit? I think someone mentioned that.

7. That was sort of my question 6 so glad you mentioned it. Could you log in remotely like I do with my Sky+ App when I forget to record Football?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts