VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R32 voted number 9 out of 10 in a national survey on which cars are liable to get a second look once seen on British roads.Left the paper at work but from what I can remember the Evo ,Fiat500 (new shape) and Caterham were above us.
The Gulwing Mercedes had the number 1 spot.

·
2,548 Posts
That's good but it must have been by category or something similar. Otherwise 10 supercars would fill the positions.

I do notice the occasional look, mainly from the 20-40 year olds. Teenagers seem to miss it (good) which is probably due to the lack of white stripes and spoilers.

Oh, and I think I'm the new hero for my local Shell garage's night shift worker ;-)

·
3,137 Posts
I think the noise they make even at low speeds pulling out of junctions etc makes people look

·
2,548 Posts
dubzter said:
I think the noise they make even at low speeds pulling out of junctions etc makes people look
True, I dropped a friend off the other night and although I usually resist, I agreed to give it full beans out of the drive. he told me the next day that a couple of neighbours came to the front door wondering what was going on. Very proud moment :D

·
1,184 Posts
davefish said:
Teenagers seem to miss it (good) which is probably due to the lack of white stripes and spoilers.
I invite you to spend some time in the car park at my school, the day I arrived with it I had to remove about a dozen pairs of sweaty hands from the body work!:mad: :2gunsfiring_v1: :goodnight:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was going to say, i think the noise attracts alot of attension. I do sometimes notice quite a few open jaws!!:151:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
the sound and the sound, i think atracts the attention, sometimes the styling as its so different from all the other mk4 golfs. i get a fair few looks at mine. teenagers as well. i know when i was about 18 seeing and r32 made my day! now i have one it makes me smile evertime i see it. still get excited seeing another one on the road as well

·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heading was top ten head turners I think, no catagory,just 10 cars men look at more than once when seen.911 in third place!will check for the positions in between in the morning but from what I remember no supercars.

·
2,548 Posts
S19 MYD said:
I invite you to spend some time in the car park at my school, the day I arrived with it I had to remove about a dozen pairs of sweaty hands from the body work!
I think that's the MkIV effect. The MkV is very stealth (maybe to much so for some). A few cosmetic mods will see it right though :evil:

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
i remember when me and Mak and macdaddy went to the lakes, stopped in an esso garage, and wendy (steve's better half) came out and said the guys behind the counter want you to rev it! baring in mind i had the valve on then, i did so and i think it made their day :D

·
5,616 Posts
I love it when I'm just cruising down the road and people turn their heads to look and I'm not even near them... that'll be the non-res Millteks!!!

Even when stationery (engine not running) people do seem to stare at it, and give it a second look as they walk past.

·
1,036 Posts
S19 MYD said:
I invite you to spend some time in the car park at my school, the day I arrived with it I had to remove about a dozen pairs of sweaty hands from the body work!:mad: :2gunsfiring_v1: :goodnight:
followed by a visit from the plod ha ha unless your a teacher like you

·
3,732 Posts
i get a fair few looks, but by far my favourite look of all comes from the mk4 gti owners when you meet them on the road :D they all recognise it and know what it is under the hood so return a look of fear, respect, disbelief or that if i pretend not to look look..........:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was at my brother in laws the other day, checking my tyre pressures, as the warning light had come on.

Minding my own business two young lads on pushbikes about 12 yrs stopped and I heard them discussing the R32. Saying thing like thats a great car, top of the range, you can tell it's a good car look at the twins exhaust and I want one of them when I can drive. Kids start young and know their stuff.

Or is it the R32 effect? :smile:

·
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got in an here's the top ten list.

1.Mercedes sl roadster
2.Porsche 911
3.Mitsubishi Evo
4.Land Rover Defender
5.Subaru Impreza
6.Rolls Royce Phantom
7.Range Rover Sport
8.Fiat 500
9.Volkswagen Golf R32
10.Caterham Super 7

Didnt mention Mkiv or Mkv I'm not that bothered,just pleased that were in the top ten.:party:

·
264 Posts
Funny how there are no other hot hatches in the list :)

·
3,137 Posts
that list is a bit strange right enough!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts