VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following from this thread : http://www.r32oc.com/showthread.php?t=985 after john unfortunately got broken into. I have decided to put up a diy of how to delock a mk4 golf.

The part needed are:

Here's the parts you're going to need.

Housing - 1K4839167
Cap - 3B4839879AGRU
5p size metal disc.

You will then need to get some primer, paint and laquer. I used the halfords touch up stuff, but you can get a spray can of paint and laquer from the dealers for around the £13 mark. Or speak you you local vw delaership or paintshop and see if they will do it when they have to paint another car the same colour:)

When painting fifty said a good tip was to use a lighter to hold the cap up, or just something hard to keep it nice and flat and off the surface is good.

Clean the cap with some brake fluid, and perhaps use some 600 wet and dry to scuff it up a bit. Then add few layers of primer and go up to arond a 1000 wet and dry.

Add the base coat nice and thinly.

Add a few layers and wet sand with 1000 between 1st and 2nd layer, and move up to 2000 between 2nd and 3rd layer.

Thean add the laquer.

Use around 3 three layers of laquer and wet sand with 2000 between each layer.

Now the cap done time to install it :151:

Tools you will need: 1 T20 Torx screwdriver, 1 Pair of Hands, Long fingernails or a sharp knife.

1 - Unlock the car. Open the door you're working on.

2 - Locate the plastic shield/cover on the inside of the door that is the same height as the handle and use your fingernails or a knife to lever it out.

3 - Look inside the hole. You should see a gold coloured screw with a Torx head. Unscrew this - slowly - if you unscrew it too far you will drop the screw into the door and that'll be a whole pain the arse getting the door card off. People say it takes 7-8 turns of the screw to loosen the lock.

Unscrew the screw and after every couple of turns, pull the outside handle and give the lock a pull. After a few turns you should notice the lock will become looser and looser. When it is totally loose the locking barrel and cap should pull right out. Be aware that the barrel is quite long - don't scratch your paintwork pulling it out!

4 - I took this opportunity to clean all the crud that accumulated under the old cap off of the door panel.

5 - Look into the hole where the barrel came out of. You should see a circular hole with a small flat opening (ie. where the 'point' of the barrel would meet). I believe this is the hole your little circular metal disc goes.

Now, I didn't bother with this, but it's up to you - I guess you could get some super-glue and some bloo-tack, put a dab of superglue on one side of the disc, a blob of bloo-tack on the other and stick the bloo-tack end to the end of the screwdriver and pop the disc in place and hold it until the glue sets enough for you to pull off the bloo-tack.

However, you could drop the disc into the door (and that'd be a real ***** if you'd already been in the door to fish out the screw!) and you'll make it a big job to reverse your work, if you wanted to (eg. to sell the car). It's up to you. I left mine as they were.

6 - Hold open the door handle and push the new cap into place. It should fit perfectly. Tighten up the gold screw and pop the plastic cap back on. Et voila!

7 - Repeat the steps for the other door(s), if necessary.

Entire process should take less than 10 minutes, unless you drop the screw or disc into the door!

hth

andrew

G

·
Very comprehensive guide.

Looks really good and very important like you say - I am sure I could do the de-locking bit - the painting is where I would struggle!!! Shame they don't come painted. Might ask VW how much a colour coded kit would be.

Thanks for posting this Andrew :151:

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Top guide mate,

I've already done this and if you follow the above instructions you cant go wrong. I found that 7-8 turns on the screw was just enough. Best thing is to turn it and pull the lock at the same time so you dont go too far and drop the screw into the door.

·
1,432 Posts
Tut tut tut Pomme, thats plagiarism there, should really have linked to or at least mentioned the Vortex thread and the original poster of this DIY.

·
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry dude not tying to take credit at all. :pcguru:

i know its similar, well the pics i used, but i added my own words to it. Just i didnt see the point in adding a link when its a pretty similar thread :) :beer:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey guys... thanks for the thread, just did mine.... had the part sprayed when i was having some repairs done when a woman scuffed my rear bumper when she reversed so they did it for free for me. Took about 5 mins..... Tip for the screw loosening.... i found that once i had it loose enough i left the screwdriver in the screw hanging out of the hole supported by the car, that way there is no way of the screw falling out. the metal disc is easily glued in place and the delocked cap slide right into place... easy peesy and looks awesome.... would highly reccomend it

Thanks for the thread

James

:elefant:

·
12 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the 5p metal disc, the numb nut at the vw dealers didnt ave a clue what i was going on about?:011:. or can you fit it without using it????

·
1,184 Posts
Is there anything to say that you can't just replace the cap with one similar to the passenger side, ie will the cap cover the lock barrel or do you have to change it completely, I just want it to look neater!? Suppose it may also be a deterrant to the thieveing bar stewards too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ask you VW dealer for the de locking kit for mk4 golf.

The metal disc has no part number, on the dealers computer i spoke with he said the ref for the metal disc was (METAL DISC), IT CAME WITH NO PRICE SO I GOT IT FOR FREE.

What a touch.

·
345 Posts
S19 MYD said:
Is there anything to say that you can't just replace the cap with one similar to the passenger side, ie will the cap cover the lock barrel or do you have to change it completely, I just want it to look neater!? Suppose it may also be a deterrant to the thieveing bar stewards too!
Did you get an answer for this? my passenger side is already covered so as you say it would be easier and still a deterrent to just cover the lock..

Cheers,

·
345 Posts
Lifes never that easy eh? Another one to add to the list - Cheers macdaddy.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
281 Posts
Its easy mate I did the paint in a day. Three thin coats of paint followed by three thin coats of laquer, no sanding, just get the distance and quantity of paint right, leave in a hot room between coats and it drys super quick!

Then fitting takes all of 5 minutes, unscrew the bolt (I thought more like 8-9 turns), old lock out. I found clipping the painted cap onto the block before installation easier as well, pop it in do the bolt up, jobs a good un!

·
236 Posts
I guess this is the same for a mkV.
Anybody know the part numbers.

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Just wanted to know if is it best not to use the small metal disk if you sell your R and it has to be put back to standard. (But sure it will help sell if car is delocked)....Unless the battery is dead ,lol.

How do you remove the battery from the key fob and what is the battery ? ie 2032

(Could only split the key fob it in two and not get the battery out)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts