VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
So I just got off the phone to Greenlight, hoping to insure my first mk4 R32. Declared all mods (brakes, susension, Arbs, and wheels).

They called me back asking for a bit more info which turned out to be my previous car history; 1.4 2004 fiesta, my company car; 16 diesel fiesta and my last car a 1.8 mk2 gti.

They couldn't insure me because my previous cars weren't powerful.

The annoyance is, is that I never drive like a prat, I leave that to the corsa owners that do 70 in a 40.

Im only 22, nearing 23. I have 3 years no claims, no speeding fines etc etc.

Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Try Axa or direct line
dont try DL i work for the group and will tell you now dont waste your time as you will get declined for underwriting.

at the end of the day insurers look a risk and from their point of view becasue you've not driven anything as powerful your deemed a higher risk.

im 28 and ive driven my current cars for over 4 years which is a highly modified turbo and when i rang flux they even asked me what experience i have with driving something like a 3.2 ltr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Must be a new angle ,first time in 46 years of driving I was asked that question last year when I insured my Noble ,came from a 997 so not sure why they asked if I had driven a powerful car previously.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I went from a 1.25 Fiesta to an R32 so i see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it somewhere... I was with Directline for the first year on the 32 now im with A-plan as i have told them about the supercharger ect.

·
Administrator
3,142 Posts
HIC - they've done me a real good deal this week and none of the others mentioned in this thread got anywhere near it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im going to do some quotes tonight, its just so much effort filling out the info every time

HOWEVER Im so excited to get the car

·
19,388 Posts
The annoyance is, is that I never drive like a prat,
I can see now where I'm going wrong:)

If only the insurance companies would add the question to the form, it would make it easier.

Seriously though, in time you'll learn there is a group of insurance companies / underwriters that are competitive for your particular risk profile. With experience you'll learn who they are and it will save time in future.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I had the same thing, also with Chris knott. Even though I had owned a mk4 r32 before and been insured for a whole year on one. They still wouldn't insure me. I think I'm currently with admiral

·
Registered
92 Posts
Had the same with Chris knott said I need to have had the car for year to get used to the power,even though I regularly drive my brothers 565bhp evo and told them this after they asked previous driving history,needless to say cue the texts and emails this year come renewal time f..k em don't care if they'd been cheaper than current insurer ,it's a matter o principle ,btw I'm 43 not a young driver either

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the same issue you had, i called all the brokers and got the same answer. In the end i went with Admiral (my previous insurer) they did a decent deal. I ended up going to comparethemarket and getting a good price from diamond which is owned by admiral, they matched the quote. I'm looking to get a quote from A-Plan upon renewal i've heard good things from this forum and MK4Supercharge.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just went on compare declared all mods and one insurer came through.. At 2400

I've spoken to someone at HIC and they seem pretty hopeful and seemed friendly. Spent 25 minutes on hold though

·
Registered
804 Posts
Try adrian flux - phone them as they're not really on comparison websites

Got an excellent deal with them all mods declared and no charge for additional ones

£520 and insured on any car

23 but i think having owned my R32 for 3+ years helps

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try adrian flux - phone them as they're not really on comparison websites

Got an excellent deal with them all mods declared and no charge for additional ones

£520 and insured on any car

23 but i think having owned my R32 for 3+ years helps
There's no harm in trying is there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts