VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, another oil thread. But I've searched and keep coming up with different answers....

So, bought some oil today, meets vw 504/507 spec 5w30 fully synthetic. All good so far?? Then I noticed it says longlife on it, yet I am planning to change every 12m and no more than 10k miles. Does this matter? Using longlife for regular changes?

Then to throw another spanner in the works, I'm looking through a old service receipt and they used 10w40 in it. Which I think is wrong. So is it 5w30 or 10w40? And longlife or regular?

Thanks

·
19,388 Posts
The oil you have bought is fine, and there is no issues using it with normal time and distance service regime. In fact that's what I do.

Longlife can be used on either service regime wheras regular can only be used for time and distance.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for clearing that up! And 5w30 is fine from what I've read, not sure why the garage put 10w40 in a couple of services ago. Will be doing my own changes from now on

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
I had to double check this myself tonight too as i was gonna top it up. I had a new Shell 5w30 and a Comma 10w40 on the shelf in the garage.. I went for the 5w30, thought i'd better check the smallprint just incase and lo and behold i noticed it had the VW 504.00 small print on the back so knew it was fine..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts