VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I parked my car up on Monday night and the radiator fans were spinning fast. Came out in the morning and the battery was completely dead, no interiors lights, no click, no mileage on dashboard. Recovery truck came and jump started it and fans started spinning instantly, the climate control system was off.

Called my garage who said it was probably a faulty temperature sensor and said to bring it in on Friday. I asked them if there was a fuse I could pull after 10 mins when I have parked the car up to stop the fans spinning. The garage said just drop the negative lead off the battery.

Parked it up on Tuesday and after 10 mins when I felt the engine was cool enough I disconnected the negative, straight away the alarm triggers, I then reconnect it and the alarm gets louder. Not good as I live in a residential street. After unlocking and locking and I think I had to start the car the alarm stopped. So I just left the car parked with the fans spinning knowing it would be dead in the morning.

I bought a portable jump start kit from Halfords, and in the morning plugged the kit on and waited for 5 mins for the current to equalise, tried to start the car and it didn't fully turn over, tried again and the alarm goes off and won't stop, disconnected both battery leads, with the alarm still going off. Finally after 6 mins or so, everything goes quiet.

It's obviously some anti-theft device, but is there a way to silence the alarm when I have this sort of issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Get the issue fixed. Would be easier to manually wire a switch in to the fans.

The alarm is made so it's difficult to override it or yank it out. You could also pull the wires out the sounder.

·
3,392 Posts
When your battery is that flat the only way to stop the alarm from sounding is to jump start it and reset the ecu. I think the alarm will sound for 5 cycles before it goes off by itself.

Sometimes it will trigger as soon as you press the key fob and sometimes it will trigger once you try and start it with the key, all depends how flat it is.

Basically, the only way your going to get the alarm to stop sounding is to put enough power into your battery to actually start the car. Everything will reset and job done.

Reactions: alexh

·
3,392 Posts
I used to do this on a monthly basis before i fitted a trickle charger to mine.

You need to fully start the car to reset the alarm but if you can put up with the noise it will stop after 5 cycles

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the issue fixed. Would be easier to manually wire a switch in to the fans.

The alarm is made so it's difficult to override it or yank it out. You could also pull the wires out the sounder.
Am getting it fixed on Friday, so hopefully won't need a switch.

·
19,403 Posts
For future reference there is a fuse for each fan situated on top of the battery.

Reactions: alexh

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to do this on a monthly basis before i fitted a trickle charger to mine.

You need to fully start the car to reset the alarm but if you can put up with the noise it will stop after 5 cycles
Ok, that's good to know. The recovery guy who came last time had a huge portable battery jump start kit I think the one I have from Halfords is for half dead batteries.

When you say you used to do this on a monthly basis, why was that for the same issue with the fans or for another battery drain?

·
3,392 Posts
Ok, that's good to know. The recovery guy who came last time had a huge portable battery jump start kit I think the one I have from Halfords is for half dead batteries.

When you say you used to do this on a monthly basis, why was that for the same issue with the fans or for another battery drain?
Mines on a trickle charger as its not driven thats why the battery used to go flat but i experienced exactly the same as you with the alarm.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, cars getting fixed this Friday. Just so you know I've been doing what cuprabob suggested and have pulled the far left fuse on top of the battery when I park it and replacing it when I drive. This has been working like a charm, started at work yesterday and started this morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts