VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been thinking recently about removing the 19" Sportec Mono 10 rims and going back to the OEM Aristo 18"s.

The reason I want to do this is because I dont feel like I can drive the R in the same way on the Sportecs because I am so worried about kerbing them and living on a small island like Guernsey its inevitable that I have to mount the kerb on occasion. Seriously, the streets over here are so narrow in places and when you have a huge bus hurtling toward you at 25 (albeit slow by UK standards, you'd know what I mean if you were over here) theres not alot of choice but to mount the kerb. So far I have been fortunate since having the sportecs refurbished and have taken very good care of the wheels with no kerbing YET!

What are your thoughts? Any prospective buyers for the Sportecs out there :)

Heres a pic of the R on the Sportecs:

G

·
It makes sense what you're saying fifty. But I wouldn't have thought that the small difference between the 18's and 19's would make much difference?

But if you do decide to sell the sportecs I would be interested...... At the right price! :smokin:

·
3,732 Posts
i can totally empathise with you, my alloys are wrecked and i've only had the car a short time, the lanes round here are very narrow and lined with granite walls.... impossible to go very far without having to squeeze past or reverse for traffic

lifes to short to worry, use them, enjoy them, refurb them if the worst happens

no-ones commented on the condition of my rims, they are too busy admiring the car itself

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main difference in size is the width as I am running 10mm front spacers I find that the tyres rub the arch because my R is so low. Wouldnt be an issue if I raised it which I have done for the time being but I want the really low look combined with being able to drive around like a preverbial loony sometimes :)

The Sportecs are 8.5 wide whereas I believe the Aristos are 8" wide, its that half inch which would make all the difference to me.

The Sportecs are £1700 for the wheels only and the tyres cost me £750 so thats a combined total of £2450. The tyres are a month old, the rears are fine but the fronts have worn a little as they rubbed on the arch until I raised the front.

I would take this to the classifieds when im certain what im doing but I suspect somewhere in the region of £1800 is the right ball park taking into account they are refurbished wheels and 2 of the tyres are fine but not perfect condition! Opinions please :)

Oh and my R would be awesome in stealth mode as appearing reasonably stock but with FT360 turbo power :D

·
3,732 Posts
not that the .:R32 could ever be called a street sleeper.. but it would be fun to surprise fellow owners if you returned to stock

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a tough decision because the R looks so good on the 19s but its just so impractical over here and cant be driven how it should be with the 19s. I could drive it as I want to but at the cost of £750 in tryes every few months and kerbed wheels which I dont want lol

·
3,732 Posts
sound like youve already made your mind up

if it were me, i would use the tyres and play until they needed changing then sell them with fresh tyres

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I think my mind is pretty much made up now. Its going to be sad to see them go though as they look so good :)

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DOH the Sportec 18s are out of the equation as they are also 8.5 wide

·
38 Posts
I know what you mean mate i had 19" rial daytona race splitties on mine when i got it but never had the confidence in them in the corners with tyres slightly stretched on, gone back to 18s and its a totaly different car to drive

·
619 Posts
Im going back to Aristos too Im affraid. Well untill I get something done with the susspension. The front right tyre is rubbing too much when I hit the bump in the road. And its becoming very vissible on the tyre :(.
Steve if you read this could you post whats the name of that paint you used on your wheels?
Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts