Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Partners driving your R32
Do your partners drive your R32?
Yes2746.55%
No3153.45%

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Possibly a coitentious topic. Do you let your partners drive your R32?

This year my insurance has plummetted to £300 including my GF as a named driver. In my mind i was adding her just in case of emergencies etc (and it seemed to help the renewal quote).

So, the conversation went along the lines of my girlfriend asking if she could have the spare key lol....whoooaa there i was saying..lol....you get the idea anyway! A bit more banter ensued. She was of the opinion if my car was behing hers on the drive she would nip out in mine and so on.

Id add that i drive my GFs new Cooper SD Countryman but 99% of the time shes a passenger and prefers me to drive anyway(the dog goes in the boot and its more practical in that sense).

I guess theres a danger this thread could turn into a can women drive but equally, this could apply to lady R owners whose fellas drive their cars.

I am OCD about alloys not being curbed, parking well out of the way to avoid dings, not hitting pot holes (and other cars), detialing it and so on. I think my GF would just see it as an A to B. Id let her drive somewhere if i was a passenger. Its just the general usage which im saying whoooa there...

its mainly banter at present.....vote and discuss. :)

PS
Insurance premiums seem to have taken a massive nose dive. Mines probably 45-50% cheaper.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My girlfriend keeps asking me to add her to my policy but it goes up by £200 if I do, so I am safe from her driving my car at the moment. She went through a set of Michelin tyres on her own car in 15K, which should give you some idea of her driving style!

·
1,357 Posts
Yes, she loves driving it, but I'll give it to her that she is a very good driver.

We have a Cooper S too (which I can drive better - just don't tell her that)

Infact she drove all the way back from Frankfurt in both cars on separate occasions and loves the autobahn.

Dog loves the "ride" too - albeit only in Mini

She has a negative impact to R insurance due to her age even with 8yrs P-NCB
But on Mini I bring down the insurance vs if she is only driver
She has no interest in driving my Golf 3 - my dad is on that insurance for cost reasons!

Dads car is covered by his company, so we don't care too much about that!

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My girlfriend keeps asking me to add her to my policy but it goes up by £200 if I do, so I am safe from her driving my car at the moment. She went through a set of Michelin tyres on her own car in 15K, which should give you some idea of her driving style!
I had the same issue last year. It added £200. This year it took a bit off. Ive gone from paying £550 odd to £300 with all the add-ons. Mega happy at that. So now their are no excuses for not letting her drive - its just when / how much.

As regards tyres i dont think i get 15k out of mine! Although i probably change them quite early.

·
Batman Member
1,516 Posts
My missus drives mine mon-fri for work but that was part of the deal in getting the car. The only fear I had at the time is the R was the 1st car shed driven since passing her test 2 years previous. Lets just say I spent many hours as a passenger on closed roads. Lol

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
My GF doesn't drive, she says can she learn in my R. I say "No Honey, we would never get you insured on it".

Enough said =)

Reactions: trippeh

·
678 Posts
My wife's on the insurance, but she's to scared to touch it when i'm away just in case something happens.

when i'm home i can have a drink and she can drive happy days

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts

·
374 Posts
my missis is insured on mine but she will only drive it if she has to. she said its too much bother because i ask where its going to be parked and tell her where id like it parking. she says she wouldnt know what to say if she damaged it because its my pride and joy. ill give her some credit she is extremely careful with the R.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ours is actually my wife's car anyway and I'm a named driver. She always has the performance cars and I have a company car which is just the workhorse in our house and gets all the mileage put on it. The wife uses the R daily for work but only drives 15 miles a day anyway. I just occasionally steal it to go to work but generally just have fun in it evenings and weekends. It's a lot cheaper with her as the main driver on the insurance as she's older than me so works out better that way.
I'm always getting told off and reminded that its her car when I start buying things for it and talking about it like its mine. I just remind her who details it and services it and pays for the tax & insurance etc!

·
Cutting Edge Member
1,263 Posts
My wife drives mine when she has to.I dont mind as she is a good driver but she is very cautious as she knows its my pride and joy. I do love it when she drives when ive had a drink.She does have her own car though.

G

·
i let my mrs (nikki) drive mine once i chose a road with no kerbs she did ok but said it was to fast so she went back to her GTI

·
Queen In The North
1,358 Posts
NO. Simple haha

Reactions: Jamiewr32

·
2,803 Posts
I dont get the issue here, people seem to be over-thinking a very simple issue.

I've never had a partner who I think I could trust with the R32, or any car that I'd own. Unless I find someone thats as big a petrol head as me, and is as careful as me, there is no chance of someone else driving mine (apart from like an emergency).

Its my car, and I decide if someone else can drive it, and the same goes for alot of people on here. If its YOUR car, then you dont have to let someone else just use it for the sake of it because they dont fancy driving their car. But If you use their car, then be prepared to have to let them drive yours...

There's nothing Obsessive Compulsive about not wanting your most valuable possession damaged (seriously people, its a mental condition that covers a broad spectrum of obsessive-compulsilve mental disorders, not just wanting something clean and free of damage). Dents, scratches, and kerb marks are the scars left by the incompetent drivers we share our roads with. They are not something that should just happen to a car as like "wear and tear", and if your car is free from said markings then you are entitled to keep it that way.

Might sound like an anti-partner rant, but I think I'm just being sensible and logical...

Reactions: Michelle

·
Registered
293 Posts
technique said:
No chance! She's crashed 2 cars and bent a door backwards by leaving it open. Plus her car is like a skip inside lol
That's the same with me, and she drives everywhere as fast as she can, it scares the crap out of me!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts