VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I just bought a new 07 R32 and, though the standard sound isn't as bad as I'd feared, am looking eventually to upgrade it. I've had a quick sniff on the forum but not that thorough so apologies if I ask something that's covered elsewhere.

What I'd really appreciate help on is the following:

1) Are there double DIN sat nav HUs out there that have speed camera mapping built in?
2) Are Alpine still the best?
3) What measures are there to deter thieves? I'm a little concerned that a double DIN is one big advert to the little buggers.

Thanks

Adam

EDIT:

just seen a pioneer with 10GB harddrive. 10GB isn't that much but does anyone know how music is loaded/what format it uses?

Thanks

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,485 Posts
There is a feature on the new Pioneer double din head units that shows where fixed speed camaras are, but doesn't detect mobile ones.

I have an alpine one, it's ok, but would go for the Pioneer second time round.

No measures I know off to deter thieves - it's a risk you take. To load music onto the unit you just insert the disc and press upload, and if 10GB isn't enough...think about an ipod!

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Having loaded all my (20GB) music onto my PC already, I dread sitting through the process again...

Interesting that the Pioneer is better than the Alpine. Do you know if the maps are updateable?

·
1,485 Posts
Yes they are updatable, but you have to pay a annual subscription for it.

Click here

The new Pioneer unit also has 30GB, not 10GB.

See

·
3,137 Posts
holy zombie jesus, that thing is £1.5k so smart though

·
1,485 Posts
No offense to anyone etc, but imo Pioneer is in a different league to Kenwood etc when it comes to head units, and that's reflected by the price.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a little worried that any tea boys walking past will see that as one big invitation, though I guess there isn't much difference between an Alp/Pioneer and a cheaper HU once they've spotted it

·
1,432 Posts
baradona said:
does it have speed camera detection?
Its not built in but can be done, read more by clicking [http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garmin-poi-loader-speed-cameras.php]here[/url]

Basically you load the Speed Camera POI information onto the Kenwood DNX7200 and voila you now have details of all the speed cameras to look out for etc.

I may even try this myself for when I am next away in the R as we dont have speed cameras over here its not much use locally.

·
3,137 Posts
where can I get a good deal on the kenwood and a bluetooth adapter for it?

G

·
dubzter said:
where can I get a good deal on the kenwood and a bluetooth adapter for it?
I've been looking at the Kenwood and The Pioneer unit - its the sat nav part that is holding me back - are they based on a particular brand like Garmin etc or are they there own bespoke systems?

·
146 Posts
The kenwood nav is based on the garmin nav and is built in!!

the pioneer requires a disc depending on which model you get. They use there own system i think.

G

·
Dan22 said:
The kenwood nav is based on the garmin nav and is built in!!

the pioneer requires a disc depending on which model you get. They use there own system i think.
If its built in how do you update it etc?

I really want the speed camera database too - and I have seen them added as POIs before and they don't generally warn you jsut for the directiojn that you are travelling.

·
1,432 Posts
I imagine that because the Kenwood DNX7200 has USB connectivity so to update, just load the programs onto a flash drive or on your laptop or some other USB form of storage and transfer them across to the unit.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts