VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving today with the windows down, I noticed a audible "clunk" when the DSG shifted into 6th gear. I was going slow, probably ´round 50km/h. No hard acceleration.

I´ve heard it a few times earlier and you can feel it, albeit hardly noticable. Only happends when going into 6th.

Would you consider this part of standard DSG operation "noise" or would it be something for the dealer to look at?

·
887 Posts
I've never experienced this so would get it in to the dealer sharpish!
I see you had your flywheel replaced a few weeks back, there could be an underlying problem that's causing it - although I've got no idea as to what it might be.

You don't want to leave it and then have to replace the whole gearbox out of warranty - it would cost you thousands!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yes I should probably have it checked then. Could be some crap with the gearbox since the flywheel didn´t last :(

I will talk to them later this month...going to replace some stuff since it makes a "gnirking" noise when turning the wheel when parked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that was interesting to read! I will keep a close eye (ear) on this thing...keep you posted.

·
887 Posts
i think issues with the DSG box are few and far between, but when they go wrong they go really wrong as the thread Mat linked to highlighted. I know of another person who had exactly the same problem but it happened a couple of months out of warranty with only 26000 miles on it. Would have cost over £3,000 to fix if they hadn't gotten on to customer services.

·
25 Posts
RSWE32 said:
Driving today with the windows down, I noticed a audible "clunk" when the DSG shifted into 6th gear. I was going slow, probably ´round 50km/h. No hard acceleration.

I´ve heard it a few times earlier and you can feel it, albeit hardly noticable. Only happends when going into 6th.

Would you consider this part of standard DSG operation "noise" or would it be something for the dealer to look at?
I have this "clunk" too, exactly as you describe it, and I don't think this is a standard noice. I took it to the dealers garage last week, but they could barely hear it (do all VW mechanichs have poor hearing?) They finally admitted to hearing something, but they said that if there is something wrong it would be very hard to locate. So their advice was to keep on driving and see if it gets any worse!
I will get back to the dealer and test drive their demo car to see if it has the same noice.
I have also noticed that the noice only appears after the engine has reached max temperature. Also, when cold it doesn't shift to 6th gear until 60-70 kmh.

By the way, my car is produced in April -08, perhaps this is something related to a specific series of cars?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the update Swede, would be very interesting to hear if the demo car has this clunk as well...feel free to update this thread after the test drive.

I went to my dealership yesterday and they said that "well, it does not sound normal, we could try to re-program the dsg and see if that makes any difference". Note that they didn´t go for a test drive with me.

My car was produced in Feb -07. If I keep on the gas a bit more the clunk is not there at all, only when driving like a granny ;)

·
25 Posts
I have now been to the dealer and tested their demo-car.
At first I noticed that this car had a clunk when shifting down from 2nd to 1st gear (at red lights) while the engine was still a bit cold, and no specific noice at 5 to 6 gear.
After driving a bit I could definately hear the clunk when changing to 6th, exactly the same as my car, no more or less of a noice. So I guess this may be normal for DSG?

The test car had about 8750 miles (14000 km) on the clock and is a 2008 model. I will ask the dealer to send a question to VAG in Stockholm (or the factory in Wolfsburg) about this, and hopefully they can explain if this is something normal.

Maybe there are more cars with this noice, but they have never been driven so slow that anyone have heard it? I am very sensitive to all kind of rattle or unusual noice, but I guess this varies from person to person.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,580 Posts
I think you should ask them for a written response as to the problem, just incase it gets worse later.

My car has now done 12,000 mls and it does not make this noise and I have never felt any vibration or jerk when changing into 6th.

Paul

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
4,848 Posts
paulnutter said:
I think you should ask them for a written response as to the problem, just incase it gets worse later.

My car has now done 12,000 mls and it does not make this noise and I have never felt any vibration or jerk when changing into 6th.

Paul
X2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Posted this a while back on another forum and several people had the same sound. Only happended for people with the -08 model. This was an interesting answer one gave:

"dropped the car to the agent and after a week of investigation with Germany
thy agent said its normal Because i decided to upgrade the flywheel to fix the gear rattling Issue (More Info ) , u will only hear the noise if you go into 6th in the speed range of 40-60 km, and Germany is working on a software upgrade

in short , R32's which Wr Produced in Jan 2008 will have the "Thud Noise" bcoz Vw Germany Upgraded the Flywheel for the 2008 batch,

and R32's with a certain batch of Chassis number Will not have the "thud" nstd thy will have the Gear Rattling Problem unless the owner decided to fix the Gear Rattling issue"

Me too replaced the flywheel and after that...noise!

·
25 Posts
RSWE32 said:
Posted this a while back on another forum and several people had the same sound. Only happended for people with the -08 model. This was an interesting answer one gave:

"dropped the car to the agent and after a week of investigation with Germany
thy agent said its normal Because i decided to upgrade the flywheel to fix the gear rattling Issue (More Info ) , u will only hear the noise if you go into 6th in the speed range of 40-60 km, and Germany is working on a software upgrade

in short , R32's which Wr Produced in Jan 2008 will have the "Thud Noise" bcoz Vw Germany Upgraded the Flywheel for the 2008 batch,

and R32's with a certain batch of Chassis number Will not have the "thud" nstd thy will have the Gear Rattling Problem unless the owner decided to fix the Gear Rattling issue"

Me too replaced the flywheel and after that...noise!
Thanks for the info, RSW. On what forum did you find this, and have you heard anything about the upgrade?
If they are working on it, I expect they should have come up with a solution by now.
I have not heard anything from VAG in Sweden, so I'm thinking about contacting them and see what they have to say about this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swede said:
Thanks for the info, RSW. On what forum did you find this, and have you heard anything about the upgrade?
If they are working on it, I expect they should have come up with a solution by now.
I have not heard anything from VAG in Sweden, so I'm thinking about contacting them and see what they have to say about this.
Hi,

I posted here: DSG clunk/thud noise - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Actually some interesting updates just a couple weeks back but still no "hard facts". I will also talk to a dealer later next week to see what´s up with this. Let´s keep this thread alive :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
My DSG box had some strange noice when I was shifting manual on acceleration, but it clunked only from 1st to 2nd, 2nd - 3rd, 3rd - 4th.
So I took it in to the VW shop, and they checked it on the computer and they called it "a sporadic failure". They just did a reset of my DSG, and the clunk is gone... I think, haven't heard anything since then.

·
25 Posts
Hi all,

I have bought a set of winter wheels, and after changing to these the noice is gone!!??
The rims are 17x7" Enzo H with 205/50 17 tyres, and the circumference (2000,6 mm) is almost exactly the same as standard (2001,8 mm).

Of corse I'm pleased that the noice is gone, but it will be back in the summer. I have not yet been back to the dealer for further discussions about the original noice.

Has anyone got any ideas why the cange of rims has an effect?:hmmmm2:

·
785 Posts
i rthink i knows the problem you have
i had olso problems with my 2 r32 dsg
the first one did i sell
2 one did i went to vw andthey dittend know a shit about r32 dsg
boss admit for me
they sayd for long time that all was good
after many times did they agree to change flywheels AND a new dsg gear box
great
got it back clock clock
new fly new dsg
problem not gone
it was the motor chain there was loose got it fixed ( not by vw) ( i dont know the word in uk)
maby
good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My noise is now also a lot less prominent after changing to winter tyres. However, my winter tyres are still 18-inchers (´08 vw oem).

One in another forum referred to the "clunk" as "drive train shunt" and a possible software upgrade that keeps more torque during upshift would probably resolve the issue.

Would drive train = motor chain in the last post?

·
25 Posts
I have now had this noice acknowledged by the VW garage (I have not done anything about this issue until now), so they will have it looked at and (hopefully) solve the problem. I will keep you posted.
RSWE32- have you done anything about your problem?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts