VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little issue with my mk5 DSG.

Occasionally, but not all the time, it seems to change into 1st gear whilst negotiating a slow corner at about 10-15mph. (Like Turning into a junction).

It seems to happens more often when cold than warm. I've already have a DSG re-calibration which fixed an earlier issue of high revving in reverse when cold (I imagine it was a clutch bite point issue).

Any ideas on this fault peeps?

Thanks in advance.

·
206 Posts
Mine seems to do this on odd occasions as well, My flywheel was replaced and clutch packs checked. I had a clean bill of health. The DSG was recalibrated prior to the change but i may do it once again.

DSG fluid has also been changed on mine but it still does this occasionally, Mine is worse on bad speed bumps as i slow right down usually i expect it to drop to 2nd but on the odd occasion it has dropped down to 1st.

Maybe a reset will help failing that it could be a mechatronic unit as the last resort as that is what tells the gears to switch over.

Reset or mechatronic unit i would say.

·
2,764 Posts
theres been a massive recall in china for cars with dsg box, closing in on 500,000 vw with dsg... personally I have never had any problems with both cars I've owned before, a a3 and r32. but there does seem to be more often than not an issue with these dsg systems now....

·
206 Posts
There are quite a few problems but its becoming more straightforward to repair, ECU testing in northampton can now repair mechatronic units for considerably less than dealer. The only problem is DSG flywheels are extremely expensive from the dealer and cannot be sourced new elsewhere.

I would certainly try a DSG reset and if possible get the oil & filter done. Usually when the mechatronic unit fails the P,R,N,D,S lights begin to flash and it becomes difficult engaging certain gears. For now i think you should be fine.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gear box is fine in every other way.

As I said I had a reset about 2-3 months ago from regal autosport in Southampton.

This is a problem I've newly discovered.

Found out it doesn't happen in manual mode as far as I can tell.

·
579 Posts
I get this problem on the corner at the end of my street nearly every time the same corner I've just put it down to the revs being too low so drops to first maybe the angle of the road causing it but its the same corner

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get this problem on the corner at the end of my street nearly every time the same corner I've just put it down to the revs being too low so drops to first maybe the angle of the road causing it but its the same corner
I started noticing it on one particular corner as I turn into my GF's street.

·
19,388 Posts
Mine used to this periodically too. I just saw it as one of the DSG's little quirks.

·
361 Posts
Mine does it from time to time I thought the dsg just thought I was coming to a stop and that's why it done it as bob says a little quirk

·
206 Posts
Would agree its probably a quirk, If there are no other symptoms then its similar to mine. I experience this usually on this road i go down with bad speed bumps, If i slow down to much the box gets confused a little and can drop into 1st but if i give my suspension a bit more of a beating it will casually glide over in 2nd.

The nature of the beast i suppose

1 - 11 of 11 Posts