VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am really struggling with the DSG on my car. It seems to be so unresponsive. In 'D' mode it puts you in 6th gear even when you are going as slow as 30mph. It means going round bends is a real pain in the bum, feels like freewheeling round them. I can drop the gears momentarily using the paddle (left paddle doesn't always seem to work), but it blips the revs up when dropping gears so you actually get propelled forward faster when you are in fact trying to slow down. My wife has a Citroen C8 diesel automatic, and it has none of these problems, no pause between releasing the braking and engaging gear etc.

I've found that the only way to get a satisfying drive is to use S mode all the time. It seems to hang onto the revs too much at times, so I manually shift up with the paddle, problem is 15s later S re-engages and drops down again. Aaaaargh!!

Am I doing something wrong or was I just stupid for believing the motoring press hype about DSG? Can DSG be remapped to have a better compromise between D and S? Has it just learnt to be the way it is during the first 2000 miles of the first owner? If so, can I reset it?

Thanks for your help!

Jo

·
236 Posts
Sounds like you could have a software problem.I would take it a long to your dealer.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,149 Posts
Imo that's just the way dsg behaves, i've driven two different cars with it in and they've both done the same things you describe. If your in D or S and you press a paddle, the override system only lasts 30s unless you change again and then it will revert to the Auto programme. DSG is a fantastic system but it's not free of short comings. The best option is to put it in D move the lever left and control it with paddles, that way your in whatever gear you want to be and it wont override unless you hit the limter or you're labouring the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I think I just need to stop being so cr*p and get used to it. It gets a little more natural every day. Was quite bad when I put my foot on the brake instead of the clutch that wasn't there. Good job the guy behind me had ABS!!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
575 Posts
The Dsg system does take a bit of time to get used too.
couple of hundred miles or more should do it?
just remember its different to a manual box and it will all fall into place.
Hopefully

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, thats what I heard. Would be interested to know how to reset it to factory, I think I read somewhere you turn on the ignition with full throttle on but I don't know if that's right.

·
65 Posts
i wouldnt worry too much about it just yet, give it a bit of time...
I replied to your post in the 'welcome' section about my initial findings with DSG...
week one - just revs
week 3 - just grins ;)

you will learn, it will learn. If you still feel there's something amiss take one out for a test drive. i drove quite a few before I bought mine, at first i was way outta my depth, now i absolutely love it!

·
1,084 Posts
Bhindi,

I would try resetting as per the vortex "Lurchy throttle" thread you posted on.

"My dealer told me that to reset the transmission programming, you turn on the key but don't start the engine and put the accelerator all the way to the floor. This is supposed to rest the transmission program back to default - the original setting."

The guys on vortex reckon that the DSG software is different for US spec cars than the Euro spec. If resetting to default doesn't help - maybe find out if the country your car came from has different software.

My (Japanese) DSG box also goes straight through the box, so I'm in 6th gear before I know it. This doesn't bother me, as it's good for fuel economy. I do most of my driving in D and override with the paddles when I get a bit of open road. I don't have any problems with lack of power though.

FWIW I really hate S mode, it holds the revs far too long. There is a lot to learn about the DSG though, and I like that.

Just a thought... maybe your car has been run in by someone with a very very gentle right foot? Dunno how many miles you're on, but the characteristics of the engine are meant to keep changing (ie loosening up) over the first 5000-10000 miles.

Keep us updated...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tokyo Dub, I will try the reset procedure as you describe. I've done about 1000 miles in it of the 3000 miles it has covered in total. I am using the paddles more, but I am finding that the left paddle isn't always dropping a gear. Not sure if this is a problem with the switch or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts