VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had issue with the standard flywheels??
I have an annoying thudding noise in idle the gets less as you press the clutch in. The garage i use said something about the flywheel or the crank float?
I have only had my mkv five for four months so if its a part that can get worn from heavy driving im not going to pay for it and will demand it be done under warranty.:angry:

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Hi mate, I've had a similar problem on a Polo. It was everything you described but was worse during start up especially from cold. Once you pressed in clutch it stopped. Unfortunately for me I had no warranty and I needed both clutch and flywheel hence the Polo went on the journey.
As far as your MkV if its under warranty, hopefully you should be ok but make sure the flywheel hasn't damaged your clutch. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers fella.
Been on to them this week whilst they have had the car, turns out to be a damaged flywheel as we suspected. In the process they have changed the whole clutch and also discovered the crankshaft had too much float which was probably related aswell so theat is being done aswell.
Thank god for warranties

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In addition to that i would thorougly recommend Sinclair VW in Bridgend should anyone live around there. Couldn't be more helpful from sales right through to this problem solving.

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Jez said:
Cheers fella.
Been on to them this week whilst they have had the car, turns out to be a damaged flywheel as we suspected. In the process they have changed the whole clutch and also discovered the crankshaft had too much float which was probably related aswell so theat is being done aswell.
Thank god for warranties
Nice one, glad you got sorted fella. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, spoke too soon, cranked it up this morning and there is a rattling noise that stops when you depress the clutch pedal. Fook it

·
1,079 Posts
this noise you talking about like a tapping feeling & sound you get when you have the clutch up, or a proper thudding loud noise?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd love some feedback on ideas for why my second flywheel has gone - manual gearbox.
I've done 20k miles in my 2-yr old MkV from new. Half of that motorway driving.
VW replaced a clutch-pack and flywheel last year and have just replaced clutch and again flywheel. They cited "driving style".
Symptoms were as a few of you have described: thumping when in neutral (and loud ticking out of the engine bay and front arches), lessens when clutch down.
Clutch pedal sticks on upper third on way back up.
I don't ride the clutch or do launches and I reckon I'm gentle and smooth with the clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts