VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going over to the Ring in the next few months and was going to give the car the once over and was thinking of changing the discs and pads and i have been looking at the ebc stuff.

are they any good?
should i change to goodridge brake lines as well?
what else should i do before i go to the ring?

any help would be great :dontknow:

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
braided lines on the R do not give as big an improvement as they do on other cars. probably not worth the expense.

When i spoke to EBC a month back, they said that discs were still in development for th R32 and that they wouldnt be ready for at least 4 months???

I stumped for Tarox discs and fast road pads. VERY impressed so far, so much better than stock.

For the ring trip, i would do an oil change and a new oil filter, have all the handling components once-overed - arb bushes and the like. Whilst your doing the brakes id stick some high-temperature brake fluid in there, you dont wanna be coming at high speed into a corner on your second lap only to find you boiled the fluid on the first :p

And get a helmet! I dont care what people say, your on a race track, id rather be called gay and still have my head intact should the worst happen than the alternative!

·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
4,328 Posts
I def think the first mod to do to the brakes is the tyrol brake stiffening kit, as this then gived a much much better brake pedel feel. If you then still want more then go for ss lines.

As for discs, i dont think you can beat tarox as wayne has got but the ecs 2 piece ones are very very nice :)

·
57 Posts
MATR32 let me know how you get on if you buy those discs. Standard are 334x32mm but on that site it says 345x30mm.

Be intresting to see how they perform:driver:

Mine need changing very soon.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
AP11 said:
MATR32 let me know how you get on if you buy those discs. Standard are 334x32mm but on that site it says 345x30mm.

Be intresting to see how they perform:driver:

Mine need changing very soon.
and if they fit. The standard discs are VERY close to the caliper as standard, id be surprised if they fit. Are you sure they are not for the mk5 ?

·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne said:
and if they fit. The standard discs are VERY close to the caliper as standard, id be surprised if they fit. Are you sure they are not for the mk5 ?
they are defo for the mk4 r32 i have double checked and rung a place that deals with them and they said mk4 r32 so i might get them just for a nosey and if they are crap and dont fit they go back.

·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pomme said:
I def think the first mod to do to the brakes is the tyrol brake stiffening kit, as this then gived a much much better brake pedel feel. If you then still want more then go for ss lines.

As for discs, i dont think you can beat tarox as wayne has got but the ecs 2 piece ones are very very nice :)
i have been looking at the tyrol brake kit but on there site it says out of stock unless there is a uk suppier that you know of that has them in stock.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
we deal with ebc at work and asked about standard spec disks and they are still being made and expect a price within the next few weeks. i think the grooved and dimples ones are available but not read that good things about them. ill let you know if i hear anything through work about standard spec ones

·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gazjones said:
we deal with ebc at work and asked about standard spec disks and they are still being made and expect a price within the next few weeks. i think the grooved and dimples ones are available but not read that good things about them. ill let you know if i hear anything through work about standard spec ones
:151:
thanks gaz. what are the pads like?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i know the green stuff are suposed to be shocking but mate had redstuff and zimmerman drilled disks on his ibiza and they were quality could be worth going for the red stuff. but they do do yellow stuff for pure track use but people use them on the road

·
86 Posts
ive had red stuff and found them great on both cars that ive used them on, on the r32 they didnt last that long but i do give them a hard time! im now on yellow stuff on the r32 and there just as good as the red but i can feel the difference even better than the red stuf imho

·
64 Posts
I've got red stuff on mine, and i've completely nailed my stock discs. they've now warped and I'm trying to get Hi-Spec to make me bells and rotor. the guy seems nice, he wants a standard disc to take the measurments and is going to get back with a price. now i just have to find a disc, problem as my R is a daily drive. red stuff do stop you though :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
The standard brakes on the .:R are very good in all, i would suggest as Pomme as said a stiffening kit, and also change to a performance brake fluid, APS use this blue stuff, its very good, forgotten what it is:hmmmm2: but its good. Also the .:R has braided lines as standard for those who didn't no, they are just covered in rubber. Just simple things will improve the standard set which is ok unless you are tracking the car very often then you will need improvement. Stay well clear of EBC red stuff pads with standard discs as they will eat the them before you even get to where you want to go, tho have been told they are excellent with the Porka stage 5 set up.

HTH in some way:)

:151:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts