VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my MK4 52 Reg for a few months now and after enquiring at the local dealership, there is no evidence that it has ever had the 6463 update. it also stutters a little at lowish revs.

So. I emailed the service manager, using lots of information I have picked up on this forum:

Hi,

I need to get a price for an update to my car please.

I have an early 2003 (52 reg.) Golf R32 that was supplied by, and mainly serviced by yourselves. I have been made aware through the Owners Club that there was a fault with the original ECU software resulting in hesitation caused by an over-sensitive knock sensor. As far as I can tell my car has not been updated to apply the fix which VW developed for this fault in 2004.

Although it was not a full recall, it was apparently a "recall update" meaning it should have been done for free whilst under warranty(?). So although the car is not under warranty now, it could be argued that the car did come in to you for service during under-warranty periods when the update was available and should have been done then for free (apologies if it was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't!)

For the technicians, the original software code would read:

Motronic me 7.1.1.0001

And the update would read:

Motronic me 7.1.1.6463

I look forward to hearing from you. The ideal answer for me is that you will apply the fix for free during my next service which I need to book soon.

Regards,
Now. I wasn't holding my breath for a reply at all, so I was surprised and totally confused by the phone call yesterday. Basically he said that there was an update, he would have to charge me half-hour's labour (ok I can live with that...), and that the update had only been released a few weeks ago!!!!!!

Whilst on the phone I thought, great, they've released a new one that's even better than 6463... now afterwards I'm thinking no, this is probably a MK5 update. Why would they still be releasing MK4 updates so long after the release of the MK5.

So. If I'm right, there's a new update for the MK5 that some of you may be interested in. Me, I'm off to find the next nearest dealership in the hope they know something about MK4 R32s.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
lol, have you just opened up a whole new can of worms :D

Take it you're not going to go to them so they can update your car?

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I think I'll be using someone else. I spent a while on that email as well, and thought I had made it pretty unambiguous....:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts