Thanks

·
19,389 Posts
Could be a faulty temp sensor.

·
Cutting Edge Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you fitted anything recently ie exhaust, filter etc?

Also when was it last serviced?
No hadn't changed anything when the light came on about a month ago. I cleared the fault and then came back on yesterday.
Serviced 6000 miles ago.

·
2,303 Posts
Could be a plug, coil pack but definitely sounds like a MAF problem or even a exhaust sensor

Have you reset the codes and do they pop back up?

·
Cutting Edge Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be a plug, coil pack but definitely sounds like a MAF problem or even a exhaust sensor

Have you reset the codes and do they pop back up?
Yes I reset the code a month ago the first time it came on and it only come back on yesterday. I reset it again tonight and its gone but I have a feeling it will come back on again.

·
2,303 Posts
I'd try cleaning the maf first then go from there maybe worth trying so see if you can have an emissions test done to see if it passes

Does it idle any different to that it normally does?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
If it definately does turn out to be the MAF remember to use the discount code R32OC25 on the EuroCarParts website

·
Cutting Edge Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
It's too rich at idle. Your MAF is likely measuring too much air than actual and the trim is adding fuel to compensate only for it to get too rich. When a MAF goes faulty it usually starts to measure too much air.

When you clear fault codes it also resets your fuel trims which take a couple of days to settle back, hence the delay is the code coming back.

Either it's your MAF or the air it's measuring is leaking out and not going into your engine. Or your injectors are faulty but thats unlikely IMO.

·
Cutting Edge Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's too rich at idle. Your MAF is likely measuring too much air than actual and the trim is adding fuel to compensate only for it to get too rich. When a MAF goes faulty it usually starts to measure too much air.

When you clear fault codes it also resets your fuel trims which take a couple of days to settle back, hence the delay is the code coming back.

Either it's your MAF or the air it's measuring is leaking out and not going into your engine. Or your injectors are faulty but thats unlikely IMO.
Ok ill have a look at the MAF. I will clean it first then if it continues I will change it thanks you for your help.

·
2,204 Posts

Or not enough when it's caked in filter oil

Good advice on the long term trims. If it's stuck on 10% there's a big problem. Usually it's 1-2% with a healthy MAF.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Or not enough when it's caked in filter oil
If not enough air is being measured it would lead to a lean condition not a rich one like the OP has.

·
2,204 Posts
Very true! It was more for general info than for this specific case

The long term part throttle trims might be worth a gander too as I'm sure a dead / dying MAF would affect that as well? If it's only too rich at idle, there could be a different underlying cause which the ECU is compensating for and the MAF is a red herring. Just thinking out loud...

·
Cutting Edge Member
1,263 Posts
I managed to give the maf a clean today it looked ok tbh but cleaned anyway. The Emission warning light is off so I will see how i get on from here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts