VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i hope to be a regular fixture on this forum :D

Whilst driving normally over the last few days my engine has just cut out several times. Once restarted the EPC, traction control and engine management lights are all present. After a few miles of driving some of the alarms will clear, only for them to return the next time it cuts out. What can cause this?? It's becoming really annoying.

FozzyR32

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
can you be more specific about how it cuts out? How are you driving? Is it like the engine just dies or is it more aggressive? Does it happen when you let the throttle off during a gear change etc

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Welcome to the forum Fozzy.

As the others have mentioned, if you could be more specific about how/what happens then we might be able to come up with possible suggestions.

Also, where abouts are you located as you may be near to someone who has a VAGCOM. Guessing you haven't yet had it diagnosed?

·
572 Posts
If it loses power but still idles, it could be brake light switch on pedal.

·
389 Posts
How 'fresh' is the battery Matey?

As stated, a diagnostic with VAG-COM will tell you instantly what's wrong, if your North West based and can get over to Blackpool then I can give it the once over with the Laptop if you want...

In a bit,
Leon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the quick replied fellas.

It will just cut out without warning, no spluttering or loss of power before hand. Nothing agressive, almost like just turning the ignition off whilst on the move. After turning the ignition and back on again it fires up fine but with the above mentioned faults on the dash.

Had a similar problem 5 months ago. The garage ended up replacing the lambda sensor which seemed to cure the problem. However it doesnt look as if this was the 'real' problem. I was think maybe a crank/camshaft sensor was faulty, causing the engine to shut off for protection??

FozzyR32

·
287 Posts
Crankshaft sensor I'm guessing, had a similar problem on my A4. Get it sorted, it's bloody scary when it happens out of the blue especially when driving in Central London!

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I had a simular problem on the old works Octavia , Turns out it was an engine management fault tho and Skoda wanted to replace the ECU. Needless to say it got sold.

VAGCOM is the way forward tho, would certainly narrow it down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just been in touch with a mate who has vagcom, needless to say i'll be giving him a visit today. Lucky for me i still have 2 years left on my wear and tear warranty package :) It could turn out to be expensive.

Will keep ya all posted on the results as soon as i find out.

·
5,616 Posts
Nice one mate, hope it's something easy to sort out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Righto. Cars fixed now :)

Diagnostic checks pulled up several faults including Lambda sensors and MAF. The fault was traced back to a faulty fuel control relay.

Very pleased its sorted, heres hoping for many more happy, trouble free miles.

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Welcome on here Fozzy,

Glad you got you'r R sorted

Happy motoring

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Guys - sorry to re-ignite an old thread.... but I have this problem occuring to me today... car will sometimes not even fire up but will turn over every time... then all of a sudden it fires up and runs fine on tick over....

Then when i drive it down the road, it just cuts again "like your turning the ignition off while driving" and its quite scary!.... it'll just turn over for a few mins then fire up again, or it fires up straight away only to cut out when I start driving again about 20-40 seconds later.

No warning lights come on - had AA out and there diagnostic checks show no fault history and no live faults either....:heeeelllllooooo:

When the car fires up and is left to tick over its fine......?

Could this be the fuel relay also? or should I get it to my mates vagcom and it may show up different info the AA one????

Any help is good guys! Could it be poo fuel maybe (I only use optimax btw)?

cheers
:afraid:

·
4,848 Posts
sounds like something on the ignition side rather than fuel. check all cabling in the engine bay for signs of shorts or melting. could be down to the immobilser also. vag-com wont likely show anymore faults than the aa diags although it may show intermittent comms errors which the aa stuff wouldnt and that may help.

only 1 way to find out ;)

·
6,197 Posts
Fuel pump relay ;) sod the AA stuff get Vagcom on it which will confirm the issue.

ps DWolfUK Haldex only engages when the ignition is on just pull fuse 31 and it will disable the controller and stop the pump running to engage the diff.

Personally I would deffo ask for a flatbed anyway so the towing vehicle does not pebble dash the front of the car with stones being that close

·
4,848 Posts
thats what i thought but have been told different when i had to have my mkiv towed.

fuel pump relay sounds like a good possibilty aswell but wouldnt that show a fault?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts