VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the engine management light has just come on but car drives the same. Think I can hear a weird whistle noise ???? going into the garage on Monday.

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
Try taking the battery off for 20 minuets and touch the positive and negative wires together while there off

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I may be fretting but I have started hearing a slap noise every time I change gear. So I stopped and stuck the car in gear and let the clutch in and out, sounds a little like my drive shaft is clonking maybe? Hard to explain, it may be normal and I'm just hearing every noise now and thinking its wrong

·
630 Posts
Perhaps there is a friendly R32OC guy with VAGCOM who can run a scan for you and see what the error code is that has caused the management light to pop up

·
630 Posts
Think I'm too far for you but someone may pipe up

Someone local helped me out a few years back so it would be good to continue the favour

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers mate! I can hear some loud hissing coming from the rear of the engine, sounds like a pipe leak but I can't see we're exactly it's coming from.

·
4,134 Posts
Have a check down the back of the engine, after someone fitted my Simota they left a vacuum pipe hanging and it melted to the exhaust manifold.
Put my engine management on and obviously created a vacuum leak.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Your hissing noise will be most likely the flapper vacum pipe on the rear of the exhaust. Does it hiss when you come off the power in town?

Also have you got a decat?

·
624 Posts
Your hissing noise will be most likely the flapper vacum pipe on the rear of the exhaust.
My first though 2. It can be your solenoid that control the flapper that broke; mine did and it gave the engine light, but car still drove normal. You need to scan your car.

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your hissing noise will be most likely the flapper vacum pipe on the rear of the exhaust. Does it hiss when you come off the power in town?

Also have you got a decat?
On the rear of the exhaust? A standard one? Because I have a milltek cat back so I don't have a flapper. I have a standard cat, I have never herd this noise before so it must be a vacuum leak, but were the hell is it coming from?

Something else I noticed yesterday when driving was the exhaust seemed a lot more raspy then usual but that could be to do with the temperature outside?

Cheers mate

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My first though 2. It can be your solenoid that control the flapper that broke; mine did and it gave the engine light, but car still drove normal. You need to scan your car.
Getting scanned tomorrow mate so should find the problem.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Yeah even though you have a Milltek the solonoid and pipe will still be there likely won't of been sealed up right. Worth a look anyway

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah even though you have a Milltek the solonoid and pipe will still be there likely won't of been sealed up right. Worth a look anyway
I sealed the pipe up with a long screw and silicone if I remember correctly, so should be ok

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
alexmac said:
I sealed the pipe up with a long screw and silicone if I remember correctly, so should be ok
Hmmm that's that ruled out then.

VCDS is your best friend :-D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi, I had a whistle and raspy exhaust note which sounded like a vacuum leak to begin with but it led me to investigate the exhaust manifolds and downpipes. It's got worse and more obvious so I removed downpipes and it was a knackered flexi. Now waiting on arrival of milltek manifolds and connecting pipes as it was cheaper option than genuine replacement. Engine management light was also on, showing the O2 sensor reached upper limit, due to exhaust blow before the first lambda. Could be your issue too?

·
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies boys. I have now sorted the problem, it turned out to be a vac leak on the brake servo pipe. This would explain why my brakes have been real sh**t lately. The engine has also been idling around 9000 instead of a smooth 8000 and its been really p**ing me off. Did a quick fix with some duck tape for now, and the engine runs smoother 8000rpm and the light has gone out
hoooraaahhhhhh! New servo pipe on the way.

Cheers
Alex

1 - 20 of 24 Posts