VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after regretting the sale of my Mk5 R32 a number of years ago I just hit the mid life crisis age and bought myself a long awaited toy. A completely standard Mk4. It needed a bit of work and has sat in my garage for 9 months. After some cleaning, minor repairs a new wheel bearing and new drive shaft boot it was ready for the road and I was waiting for the winter to pass to get it on the road for the 1st April. I haven't been hard on the car and have been plodding about doing local runs. I have now a few problems and looking for some help.

1)The brake warning light came on. Brake pads have heaps of meat and the wire has been cut and the previous owner has joined the wires together to complete the circuit but the light remains on. There is a circuit as I have checked the electrics. Not important but just would be nice for the light to go out without having to put on new pads.
2) Dipped xenon beam on passenger side out. New bulb fitted and still not working. No power to unit. Have been advised to swap over the ballast from the driver side to see if that's what the fault is. Again no big deal and will try the swap before worrying about it too much. Fuse is fine.
3)Now the fun bit, engine management light came into my life today and it wasn't welcome. Car starts and idles and runs fine. It doesn't splutter or misfire but I floored it out the road in 3rd and it wouldn't go over 5500 revs.
(I had a similar issue with an old Vectra 15 year ago and where it wouldn't rev hence why I tried the above)
I am reading about drive shaft sensors, oxy sensors, cat sensors ........ any advice welcome based on the above? If I bought a cheap and nasty diagnostic machine would it tell me the fault? if so which one. I'd like to avoid VW garage if I could. There weren't kind to my Mk5 when it went in for a service and they did over 10 miles, thrashed to buggery i'm guessing to the nearest village and back. "barstewards"

· Administrator
11,639 Posts
What he said

But I bet the brake light is the cable had come out , on the passenger side attached to shock

626 Posts
one of the common issues on the mk4 R32 is the brake light switch behind the pedal. They are cheap to buy and lots of youtube videos to replace. You need to make sure its correctly fitted ales you'll break the plunger and need a new switch. I'd buy 2 to be safe

Anyway I'd get someone with VAGCOM to run a scan - its easier than second guessing

27 Posts
Cheers guys for the help and comments. Managed to blag a shot of a Diagnostic hand tool. "Speed Sensor" fault. Error cleared and all is well.(for now) Haven't checked if it revs over 5500revs but i'll try it out at the weekend weather permitting. Cheers HAWKERR32 and MrPompeyfor the advice, currently looking on Ebay and Amazon, defo for a scanner, worth having the right tool to pick up any future errors.

626 Posts
I have VAGCOM but I'm in Gloucester which is too far away else I'd invite you round

Speed Sensor - thats the ABS then its likely one of 3 options, the air gap, the abs unit itself, or faulty electrical circuit If its cleared then awitch off car and restart and have a drive using brakes to see if it reappears

18,487 Posts
I have VAGCOM but I'm in Gloucester which is too far away else I'd invite you round

Speed Sensor - thats the ABS then its likely one of 3 options, the air gap, the abs unit itself, or faulty electrical circuit If its cleared then awitch off car and restart and have a drive using brakes to see if it reappears
It could be the Engine Speed Sensor which is the one on the end of the Crankshaft.

Wheel Speed Sensors tend not to put on the EML but the ABS and ESP light.

Reactions: alansimo

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey guys loving the feedback. regards "Speed Sensor - thats the ABS then its likely one of 3 options" ??? forgot to mention that my ABS kicks in about 1 or 2 MPH before stopping. The car has always had that problem and I completely forgot about (just used to it now I guess) do you think there is a link?? Don't know if there is a link but both times the light came on I wasn't complying with the national speed limit. I'm away to buy a d900 obd2 :)

626 Posts
Braking is pretty key on a car like this with the big lump in the front, its likely also why it has the enormous front disks.

Out of interest what was the fault code? That at least ensures you understand what sensor as CupraBob says but I do think it sounds like ABS. ABS would do that if it that if it thinks the car is skidding when the brakes or on, perhaps if you finish your braking on some gravel it could do this

Not sure what VAGCOM costs these days but its a great investment, I think it was around £250 when I bought it. I think VW used to charge £65 plus VAT if you wanted them to run a check for you. I see some people on ebay make money running checks for people

There used to be a thread where people posted they had VAGCOM and their location, maybe someone lives near you

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have ordered a d900 obd2, should get it next week. The code that the reader gives is "PO501" does that make sense? I did google it and it came up with a few options. I need to get all 4 wheels off and check the ABS sensors and ABS ring condition and make sure they are clean and the gaps are correct. I had a rear wheel bearing repaired on the drivers side and thought that might have fixed the problem but no such luck

626 Posts
I think 00285 was the ABS code I've had which is front right ABS which was fixed by a new ABS Module which is pretty cheap
I dont recognise your code which isn't surprising as its not a VAG code?

I dont know what the other guys think of other code readers. I've not had one myself. I think VAGCom pays for itself very quickly. I see they are £270 now.

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So its almost a year since I posted my problems. Due to other commitments at home (doing up my house) the golf has been sitting under a cover in the garage with no MOT. Read up a lot in the last year on what could be giving me the various issues and I thought I would share.

Brake light on dash is out. Fitted a new cable with ware sensor, It cost me all of £5 - simple fix and hardly worth mentioning but hey hoo, don't know why I never replaced it in the first place.

ABS has been giving me grief. Stuck the car on axle stands, removed all the disc, calipers and pads. Cleaned up the ABS rotor (they were quite rusty) and cleaned up the sensors on the back and changed the sensors on the front. Everything spotless clean, back together. Test drove it no difference. Read on a Audi (swear word I know) forum about the gaps on the sensor to the rotor and how they should be about 1mm (give or take a pubic hair) Checked the front and one of the new sensors were about 2-3 mm away from the rotor. Took off the sensor, filled a few mm off the brass fixing collar and set it back in. Now measures 1mm (ish)....................test drive and problem gone. To say I am fecking delighted is an understatement. I have read up so much on these bl00dy sensors and its so common and such an easy fix (for me anyway)

All warning lights now out on the dash. Just the dipped beam ballast to replace and fingers crossed for a MOT and a lot of fun this summer

cheers

AL

626 Posts
oh nice one. I did mention air gap a year ago as one of three potential problems :D

Surprised you have left it so long, no idea what things can happen if a car is left so long without being driven but am sure it needs a good run once its up to temperature.

Get the ballast done (I've never played with this) and you are good to go night and day

27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Mrpompey, yip you did mention the air gap at the time. I think I checked it then but if I'm honest I didn't know what the gap should have been and assumed 3-4mm was okay (clearly wasn't) The old golf has been sitting without a MOT for almost a year. It did get a burl over now and again and a wee blast down the road (private road so all legal :)) Once I get the head light sorted it will be ready for an MOT so fingers crossed as it would nice to get a few miles on it this year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.