VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering whether the majority of people drive with it on or off? I have mine on because i'm fairly new to the car, is it much different with it off?

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Its a completely different animal when its off, plus you get an extra 4bhp woohoo !!

I drive with it on unless its dry and i'm having a proper spirited drive. I find if i leave it on it takes too much power away .

·
3,732 Posts
i agree with the above, if your new to the car keep the esp on during the wet... IF the sun ever somes out again and the tarmac gets sticky switch it off and drive it like your supposed too :D

·
79 Posts
4 BHP I didnt know that!!!!!Only had the car from new 3 and a bit years ago....and still learning things. Thats whats so good about this site:151:

·
324 Posts
I drive with it off as much as I can remember to turn it off. It kills power at the most annoying times, especially on tight turns. The car is so grippy, even in the wet it doesnt need it. I wish it was 'off' as default and you could turn it 'on' if you needed it. In fact, the more i think about it, the more i hate it.

·
243 Posts
I drive with it on, only because I never remember/can't be bothered to turn it off!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i drive with it on only kicks in if im to aggressive on a launch out of junction or something, but 4bhp is tempting

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I had my little trip to Prodrive a few weeks back they said 'leave it on'.

Why take your cars design and technology back 20years.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
maybe for normal driving plodd yeah,

But if your giving it plenty around a corner and it starts to lose grip the traction control is so aggessive when it kicks in that you lose power for too long.
Whereas if its off and your a decent driver (or rather in touch with the car) , The minute you feel the car go you can correct and keep in some power or put the power back in sooner.

Hope that makes sense,

·
1,432 Posts
Ive always driven with it on. Might start to turn it off and have some fun now the weather is improving.

·
616 Posts
I have a code on mine that keeps it off all the time and I don't have the annoying orange light. It does mean that it can't be turned on but it's got haldex so i don't think it's needed. I used to find the traction would kick in at junctions when I'd pull out quickly and find myself sitting in the middle of the road with cars coming in fast!

·
38 Posts
Im sure it logs every time you turn it off so if you have a bump with it off and its your fault the insurance will check every thing to get out of paying, and it could land you with a big bill!!!!

·
616 Posts
r32hoc said:
Im sure it logs every time you turn it off so if you have a bump with it off and its your fault the insurance will check every thing to get out of paying, and it could land you with a big bill!!!!
I see what your saying but why have the button? It like having the M button on an M5 (goes from 400bhp to 500bhp). Surely they'd insure you, worst case senario e.g. 500bhp not 400bhp as with traction on traction off.... I may be wrong, but thats my 2 cents worth.

·
324 Posts
I hardly think its taking the car back 20 years by turning it off. When it kicks in, which is way too often and way too harsh for my liking, I just don't like anything interfering with my driving.

Thats far more un-nerving having it kill all the power and leave the car virtually motionless in places i'd rather not be, kangaroo jumping as it decides for me when i can move forwards or not, than have a bit of tyre squeel and understeer to deal with, which i am expecting to happen and can deal with it accordingly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can I just say I wouldn't want to be a passenger with any of you lot. :stupid:

If you continually have it cutting in driving on public roads then you should be certified. I will accept I am probably a little (cough) older than most of you but come on. I am probably more experienced than most of you and have had more 'on road' advanced training and I don't have a problem with the ESP and wouldn't ever consider turning it off on the road. I am not saying I am a better driver than any of you (wouldn't ever make assumptions like that) but even 'spirited' road driving shouldn't have it kicking in all the time, if it does your driving style could probably do with some fettling. Less haste more speed and all that.

Not trying to start an argument here and before you all call me a boring old git I do drive/ride much faster on the public road than any of you would (I hope) and all legally.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Plodd i'm also a police advanced driver too an have been for some years.

still like to feel the car slide, and control it, keeps you on your toes for when it happens for real

·
3,732 Posts
macdaddy said:
Plodd i'm also a police advanced driver too an have been for some years.

still like to feel the car slide, and control it, keeps you on your toes for when it happens for real
tomorrow belongs to those that prepare for it today :D

·
243 Posts
Plodd said:
I am probably more experienced than most of you and have had more 'on road' advanced training and I don't have a problem with the ESP and wouldn't ever consider turning it off on the road. I am not saying I am a better driver than any of you (wouldn't ever make assumptions like that) but even 'spirited' road driving shouldn't have it kicking in all the time, if it does your driving style could probably do with some fettling. Less haste more speed and all that.

Not trying to start an argument here and before you all call me a boring old git I do drive/ride much faster on the public road than any of you would (I hope) and all legally.
And me:driver: Like you, I don't turn it off either except on trackdays.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts