VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know that "R32" and "economy" aren't usually two words that go together, but I do quite a lot of motorway miles and I'm always looking to find ways of avoiding spending too much time at the pumps. After all, having to stop for fuel all the time breaks up the enjoyment!

After buying my (mk4) R32 back in June, I found that I could not get any better than 28.2mpg (MFD-indicated average) on the motorway, even if I kept to 70mph and was very light on the throttle.

Last week, I found out that the pressures I'd been keeping my tyres at (33psi front, 30psi rear, just like on my old VR6) were slightly different to the pressures that VW recommend for the R32, which are 36psi front, 33psi rear.

So I cracked open that handy blue compressor that lives in the spare wheel well and pumped my tyres up to the correct pressures.

The results were astonishing. I can now get 31mpg easily.

Let me say that again - that's another 45 miles per tank just by adding 3psi to the tyres!!!!! :eek:

I had no idea that the R32 was this sensitive to tyre pressures - it must have something to do with the operation of the Haldex system.

Needless to say, I'll be checking my tyre pressures at least once a week from now on, and recommend that you all do the same!

I'd be interested to hear what other fuel-saving tips people have for the R32. Does turning the aircon off make much of a difference? What about turning off the ESP (since it's not needed on motorways anyway)? Comparative fuel economy on different fuels (Shell V-Power vs BP Ultimate etc)?

·
305 Posts
wow! thanks for that! i no my tyre pressures are wrong, i"ll check them tomorrow, can"T wait to see if it makes a difference to the way the car performs. can"t remember the pressures i put in there last, about 28-30 psi front and back i think!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
748 Posts
I run mine around the 32 mark - got 29mpg on the run from Liverpool to Chester, but traffic was crap on the way back so only got 25...

Have had 32 on a steady run in traffic, but generally ~20 in town and out of town varies on liberal use of right foot..... :driver:

·
171 Posts
Ooooo with my promotion im gonna be travelling a lot more and am having to consider selling the R so any more tips are more than welcome to increase the pros (not that having an R in the first place needs anymore pro's!)!

Off to the garage I will be after work ;)

·
1,432 Posts
Or just wait until you get a service reminder on the dash, leave it a couple of weeks and the MPG starts going ballistic. Ive had as high as 190MPG and it jumps around all over the shop down to 1mpg etc etc, obviously thats not accurate though :)

G

·
Emma said:
Ooooo with my promotion im gonna be travelling a lot more and am having to consider selling the R so any more tips are more than welcome to increase the pros (not that having an R in the first place needs anymore pro's!)!

Off to the garage I will be after work ;)
If you forget about the outlay - Fit a cat back,a decent CAI, sports cats and agressive cams plus a decent remap and it wil improve your economy too :vroam:

·
4,328 Posts
36 is what vw recommend for the car up front and as i have a audio set up in the rear i inflate them a bit more then standard to what vw suggest for a loaded car :)

·
1,084 Posts
People in Japan fill tyres with pure Nitrogen, as the molecules are bigger so can't escape as quickly as natural air. (apparently).

Anyone else heard of this?

I only just found this out recently when I got new tyres for my Scoob. It costs about an extra 40p per tyre for pure Nitrogen, so I went with it.

J.

·
748 Posts
Yes its true about Nitrogen you will find a lot of garages do have the facility to fill your tyres with nitrogen. Was an extra £1 per tyre on top of fitting when I had mine done last and when they do start to deflate you basically pump them back up with air

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Air is 78% nitrogen anyway.

Good point by Pomme about upping the rear tyre pressures to compensate for the weight of a boot build. I never thought of that one. My stealth shelf is quite heavy, so I might try 34psi in the rears.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It definitely seems to return better mpg on Shell V-Power. I can get 32mpg (motorway) on V-Power, as opposed to 30.5 (for the identical journey) on normal 95RON.

·
83 Posts
Was speaking to a guy at the V Dub garage and he said you'd be suprised what a drastic difference running stuff in your car makes to the power and fuel economy. Worst possible senario is driving on a hot wet night with your lights, wipers and air con on!

·
17 Posts
when i bought my R i drove it straight to to the nearest garage which was a shell one, filled it to the top with V power, stuck to 65-70mph all the way home (220 miles) and the needle was just off the half. worked it out got 30-32mpg i think! although have seen me get 220 from a whole tank as well!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts