VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Thinking about finally fitting my fan fix kit this weekend but just wanted to check a couple of things first before I commit.

1) What size of bolts (M?? and length) do I need and how many?

2) What size of nuts do I need and how many?

3) Where exactly do I join these wires in to? I've watched the videos before, but I still can't say with confidence where I should be cutting and joining and I don't want to get it wrong. Pictures or diagrams welcome!

Cheers

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
I have a guide in print here, ill send one down in your parcel. You shouldn't need any nuts and bolts

1 wire is live which is fused or should be
1 wire is negative
1 wire into the fan module,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cheers.

How do I fix the plate to the car without nuts and bolts?

Pretty sure I have 4 wires, 1 out each end of the 2 resistors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody else have clear diagrams or pictures?

I've looked at guides and Coolhands videos but I'm still not 100% sure what goes where.

Check twice, cut once as they say.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't have one handy but it's the type with 2 big gold resistors on a sheet of metal and 4 wires coming out.

1 wire out of each end of the resistor. They are all pink as well.

·
156 Posts
Hi you want a diagram but I'm not sure it'll help you

Here is a pic of one of my resistor sets. You can see that one resistor does one fan ie the two wires for one resistor will sort out one fan on the car. (that's why I have one pair of wires gathered together with a small piece of blue tape).

Other than that I can only say watch the videos I made on vimeo or get someone up there to help you!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah right. I thought it was 1x resistor for the small fan that burns out. But this fix just replaces the small fan (burnt out) resistor, and the large fan (which is probably ok) resistor?

So the kit upgrades the large fan resistor at the same time?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Im pretty sure its the large fan resistor is a variable resistor and that burns out. Hence why there are a low and high on your fix kit? Not 100% though

·
2,204 Posts
The fans are basically the same electrically, just different sizes. If you have neither fan spinning with the A/C on, then you need to wire both resistors in. I would wire them both in anyway to be honest.

I went with the Nime controller in the end as it was easier to wire in. Just hooks into 2 wires on the fan controller. No dropping of bumpers etc.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
The fans are basically the same electrically, just different sizes. If you have neither fan spinning with the A/C on, then you need to wire both resistors in. I would wire them both in anyway to be honest.

I went with the Nime controller in the end as it was easier to wire in. Just hooks into 2 wires on the fan controller. No dropping of bumpers etc.
Nime is dearest but the best by far
I have that one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah right ok.

I have the big fan still working but I've put climate in to Econ to safe it burning out.

·
2,204 Posts
The big fan will go the same way eventually, so I'd wire both resistors in
The low speed signal will then go down the thick red/blacks and bypass the internal fan resistors.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That makes more sense. I always thought both resistors were for the little fan. I just assumed that because my large fan was working.

So if I cut the Red/White (little fan) and put one resistor in series with the red/white cable, and then cut the Red/Black (big fan) and put the other resistor in series with the red/black cable?

Or do I put them both through the Red/Black cable?

·
2,204 Posts
You cut the red/white wire on the fan controller side of each connector (there's 2, duplicated, at the bottom of the rad), join one end of the resistor to this wire, then the other end goes onto the black/red wire. You do this for both fans.

The idea is when the fan controller engages the low speed, the external resistors take over and send the power down the red/black wire instead and when the full speed comes on, it still works as normal.

·
2,204 Posts
Matt Clark is the gent in question and he's a decent chap to deal with.

Took me an hour to fit my Nime.

Battery and tray out. Unbolt fan controller, pull the great big 4 pin plug off, solder the wires on as advised in the supplied instructions, refit and test!

I would insulate the soldered joins with self amalgamating tape as it's a lot stronger than normal tape and you do need a decent soldering iron because the red/black wire will absorb a tonne of heat before the solider flows into it. Cheap irons won't get it anywhere near hot enough. Don't what ever you do (as the instructions suggest) simply twist the wires together!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts