VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know people have modded their engine fans as they were faulty, but is it possible to lengthen the time they stay on after the cars shut down? I want them to stay on for a few minutes. Saves me having to get a turbo timer fitted. Is this possible?

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
388 Posts
Had a Look at the wiring diagrams in ElsaWin, it looks like the cooling fan is controlled by a thermoswitch on the radiator, although another part of the wiring diagram shows a control unit???. To make the fan stay on longer it might be possible to put a relay in parallel with the radiator thermoswitch, and connect the coil of the relay to the continued coolant circulation pump which stays on for a few mins after the engine is switched off. This would make the fan run at the same tiime as the continued coolant circulation pump.

·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Kieran! I will have a word with BBT's and see what they think!

·
572 Posts
Does the electric coolant pump not run all the time when the engine is on? (as well as mech pump). This would mean your fans running all the time. There was a thread on vortex about this.

·
4,328 Posts
You can put in a different stat which turns the fans on sooner. But i really dont see the point in doing this mate. as the fans really dont make any difference to airflow at the back by the turbo.

Ive got a plan at the mo which a mate is building two of the front grills which will have ducts/scoops in with piping back up to the air filter and turbo, and then inline air pumps which when the car goes under a certian speed or over a certain temp will turn on as well as stay on longer when the car turns off blowing air directly onto the turbo. So hopefully will supply more air to the cai as well as keeping the turbo cooler :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.