VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
MkV R32
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've wanted one for years and I finally got an R32. It's a 2008 MK5 #65 of 5k imported to the US. She's a bit of a fixer-upper but a solid car. I bought her at auction and am going through it. She's getting a RF CV axle, all new suspension control arms, front lower ball joints and some cosmetic stuff. Took a hit to the right side suspension. While I have it apart I'm going to drop the engine and install a pair or Schrick 264 cams, new chains and complete hi-flow exhaust system. Not sure how the DSG trans is but it seems to be fine as far as I can tell. I'm going to do a service and re-adapt the clutch values before I really drive it. I will also service the Haldex unit. The CAN-BUS is down due to a faulty Gateway module but those are cheap. Like I said, fixer-upper. Gonna be sweet when I get it done. I'll post regular pictures of the progress
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Grille
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
955 Posts
Welcome and ‘ good on you ‘ for getting one and planning to return it to its former glory . I am sure you will enjoy the ownership and the adventure of fixing problems ( and finding the odd new one and the inev urge to upgrade and improve on what VW started ) . Don't forget to share your journey.

·
18,477 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
MkV R32
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got all the rear suspension control arms replaced today and got the Can-bus back up. Here's the front suspension in its broken state. I've got new TRW ones coming.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs

·
Eats Kitty Litter
6,617 Posts
Welcome to OC . If you want tubular headers or just a down pipe system with high flow cats let me know as i ship them often to you guys stae side :)

·
Registered
MkV R32
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I Serviced the Haldex and dropped the engine. Not working on it tomorrow. It's Sunday. Monday I will separate the engine and trans and pull the intake, valve cover and the timing covers. I'll probalbly remove the chains and the cams as well. Oil was really clean. DSG fluid wasn't bad either. This one was pretty well maintained. The haldex fluid was pretty nasty though.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Fuel tank Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive wheel system
Car Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
955 Posts
Today I Serviced the Haldex and dropped the engine. Not working on it tomorrow. It's Sunday. Monday I will separate the engine and trans and pull the intake, valve cover and the timing covers. I'll probalbly remove the chains and the cams as well. Oil was really clean. DSG fluid wasn't bad either. This one was pretty well maintained. The haldex fluid was pretty nasty though.
View attachment 271181
View attachment 271182 View attachment 271183
Blimey.You are not messing about .Top work !

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ah. Long time VAG expert. Right. A question . DSG box. Differential removal .Think it works like this. Correct me when I get it wrong. Remove box from car. Remove transfer box from gearbox. Remove clutch . Stand gearbox up with engine bell housing facing upwards. Remove this housing ( many bolts ) leaving all the gear clusters etc in place. Lift out diff with crownwheel . If I am right so far, renewing the taper roller races on the diff is staright forward and the outer race from the housing just removed also easy . Outer race at the other end is buried deep inside the other half of the casing ................

·
Registered
MkV R32
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah. Long time VAG expert. Right. A question . DSG box. Differential removal .Think it works like this. Correct me when I get it wrong. Remove box from car. Remove transfer box from gearbox. Remove clutch . Stand gearbox up with engine bell housing facing upwards. Remove this housing ( many bolts ) leaving all the gear clusters etc in place. Lift out diff with crownwheel . If I am right so far, renewing the taper roller races on the diff is staright forward and the outer race from the housing just removed also easy . Outer race at the other end is buried deep inside the other half of the casing ................
Yes that's correct. Don't forget to pull the Mechatronics Unit off before you split the case. Now keep in mind you will have to measure the new bearing races against the old. Make sure you get the clearance correct. There are spacers on either side and they are not the same. This is very important, if you get it too tight the diff will lock up, if it's too loose you will have too much linear play in the final drive gear and that will be noisy as well as cause other problems. I can't recall the exact numbers you need to see but the info should be available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, great posts mate. Good to see posts like this, where expert work is being done. Keep us updated!
I wonder how much quicker those cams will make the car go. Low 5s? Im getting regular 5.6s for 60mph unlaunched - with dragy, just by playing with ecu. Still got stock everything, including air filter. Launching takes 0.2s off. When I first got the car it was doing it in the sixes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts