VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
3,137 Posts
Update with fixed picture links

ok since I've done it here is my thoughts

1st this is the location of the sensor, middle of the pic

2nd close up of location

3rd this is the variable inlet thingymagig which you should remove to ease access, it has 2 torx30 screws

4th remove the white ball clip from the shaft then pull gently

5th here you can see the sensor and it's plug with the c-clip, use a flat headed screwdriver to gently prise the clip up. Be careful you don't drop the clip into the engine bay

6th out with the old and in with the new, I removed the old sensor still attached to the plug, make sure you remove the old o-ring. I jacked up the front of the car to try to stem the flow of coolant

so all you need to do now is replace the c-clip, refit the plug, refit the variable inlet thing, top up the coolant and away you go......................hopefully.

disclaimer......I will not be held responsible for any damage done to your car using this process. This was the process I used and it worked for me it may not for you.

·
100 Posts
What is the ECT sensor and how why did it fail macdaddy?.

·
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced it because I got this error msg with vag com and the engine light on the dash was on. Probably saved myself quite a few quid in stealers bills

Address 01: Engine
Controller: 022 906 032 CP
Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1 6463
Coding: 0000132
Shop #: WSC 00873
1 Fault Found:
16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Signal too High
P0118 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
The ECT or Engine Coolant Temperature sensor basically does what it says.
It sends the signal to the ECU telling it when the fans get switched on etc
There a common part to fail, Faults include erratic temp readings on the dash and engine light codes.
It can aslo make the car run sluggish too

Thing is there about £16 from the dealer so if the VAG com code shows up like Dubzters then you'll now know just how easy it is to replace.

·
572 Posts
It sometimes fails without showing fault at all. I've changed 3 on different cars. My 'R', my old gti and an Audi A3. Only on the A3 did it show a fault on Vagcom (the same fault as above). As macdaddy says, common fault is sluggish engine as the sensor tells the ecu that the engine is at the wrong temperature. Also on the 'R', your tailpipes will be sootier.
ps the bad sensors are nearly all black in colour! Good ones green.(as per how to above)

·
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update with fixed picture links

ok since I've done it here is my thoughts

1st this is the location of the sensor, middle of the pic

2nd close up of location

3rd this is the variable inlet thingymagig which you should remove to ease access, it has 2 torx30 screws

4th remove the white ball clip from the shaft then pull gently

5th here you can see the sensor and it's plug with the c-clip, use a flat headed screwdriver to gently prise the clip up. Be careful you don't drop the clip into the engine bay

6th out with the old and in with the new, I removed the old sensor still attached to the plug, make sure you remove the old o-ring. I jacked up the front of the car to try to stem the flow of coolant

so all you need to do now is replace the c-clip, refit the plug, refit the variable inlet thing, top up the coolant and away you go......................hopefully.

disclaimer......I will not be held responsible for any damage done to your car using this process. This was the process I used and it worked for me it may not for you.

·
842 Posts
i couldn't get the plug off no matter how hard i tried...i resorted to removing the sensor with the plug attached aswell

·
6,197 Posts
with these plugs you need to push them in slightly to release the pressure on the clip then pull/push down the clip to release....:eek:)

16vTej said:
i couldn't get the plug off no matter how hard i tried...i resorted to removing the sensor with the plug attached aswell

·
842 Posts
yeah i tried that as it's identical to the VAG connectors we have at work... its getting in there and pushing the tab down which aint easy... a hooked pick works a treat usually but i don't have one at home

·
210 Posts
Just replaced mine again the first one was from GSF car parts and was something like £13 and only lasted a few months so off i went to my local vw dealer and wallet now £39.02 lighter and that was for coolant temp sensor, u clip and rubber washer and now everything working as it should.

·
Registered
168 Posts
thanks , great link. my temp gauge stayed at 0 for miles then just shot to 90 like someone had flicked a switch.
changed sensor on monday and all good.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My "R" has been having an issue with 1st starts but only noticed it if the temp reads 12c or lower, my tail pipes are sootie and car does feel slughish at times. I got my new part yesterday so going to go and fit now, hope if fixes my issue.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts