VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it will be a while before i fit my new zorst so until then i've decided to do what is affectionately called the 'flapper' mod. this involves plugging the diaphram on the exhaust to increase noise below 40mph and rumour has it a bit more horse and torque.

seeing as this question gets asked loads by new members i've put together a how-to to give you an idea on how to complete the task.

i dont know if the mods want to place this elsewhere in the forum or make it a sticky? up to you.

right then here we go....

------------------------------------------------------------------

STEP 1

Locate your .:R32

you need to be looking under the car on the left hand side as you face it, getting under the left tailpipe.

STEP 2

Here you will see just behind the tailpipe the diaphram and the 8mm hose attached to it, held in place with a small clip

STEP 3

The clip holds the tube onto the pipe of the diaphram, dont mess with the clip, its good to preserve it should you choose to reverse this operation and go back to normal!

STEP 4

The pipe is straight, so without wiggling pull firmly and the 8mm tube should come away revealing the pipe

Step 5

Get yourself an anodised/zinc screw to prevent rust, preferably with a tapered end as its imposrtant to create an airtight seal once fitted

Step 6

Carefully insert screw into the pipe and tighten carefully, make sure the screw goes in straight and do not overtighted else the pipe will get damaged (not too loose though as it needs to be airtight and we dont want it falling out either!)

Step 7

screw inserted

Step 8

now you'll need 2 zip ties to tidy up the tube you removed, its worth placing a screw into the tube to prevent dirt getting in should you wish to reverse this all at a later date

Step 9

Find a suitable location and tie off the tube with the first zip tie, next to the side clip is a good spot

Step 10

Using the second tie, fold the pipe and attach the tie and pull tight so everythings tidy and out the way

Step 11

Finished!

All done, pat yourself on the back!

·
100 Posts
Remember that screw in the tube as well or the exhaust motor/pump will fail and throw up a fault on the dash!.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Aye just gonna post that gogsie. Its good to have a screw placed in the metal pipe just to keep it clean, however the rubber pipe needs to be plugged or as stated above it will break the vacum pump over time.

·
191 Posts
yeh you definately need to block the pipe and not the pump! i put a little rubber cap on my pump just to keep the crap out and screwd a m5x 25mm bolt into the pipe. then cable tied

rob

·
79 Posts
Just done mine..sounds a lil bit louder but thats it really:driver:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
well mine sound 10 times better put i little pluger in vac pipe from work and rubber vac bung on the flap hole as we sell rover exhaust with these flaps and they come with little rubber hose sealing the flap!

·
79 Posts
Not happy with the flapper mod so Ive decided to spend £1,300 on a full system Miltek nonresonated cat back from http://www.shopwestec.com/ cant wait to get it

·
79 Posts
Sorry my misstake its the full system, the guy quoted prices from £600 and more.I asked what was the best and what he would recommend for the R32 hence the price and system Im getting. I just went with what he said without really understanding what he meant if that makes sence!!!:hmmmm2:

·
345 Posts
Dai said:
Just done mine..sounds a lil bit louder but thats it really:driver:
Same as - I made this mod this weekend and there is slight increase in noise but not anything major - just wondering if I am missing anything.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,149 Posts
It only really gives it more noise below 3-4krpm as the flap would have opened after that anyway. It's not a massive difference but it's noticeable, if you really want more noise then you'll either have to remove the silencer before the backbox or go aftermarket.

·
39 Posts
I just did the flapper mod to my car also. I have only had my R32 for 3 weeks and when I was doing the mod I noticed a small clamp on the hose. That I don't see in these pic's, so I am assuming that the previous owner had tried to do the mod by only clamping the hose instead of removing and plugging it. Would that have worked just as well??

This is a video of befor I did the mod. With apperently the hose clamped. If some one could tell me if this sounds louder than stock.

And this is after I did the Flapper mod as shown my you guys here on the site. THANK YOU BY THE WAY:)

·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
clamping the hose would have worked i guess, some people pull it off and tie a knot it it also, the above method is just the preferred.

its hard to tell the differences between the videos for me as my laptop has rubbish speakers so cant help you there.

did smile at the coughing fit in the second video though :D

·
39 Posts
Yea that was my Girlfriend. I hit 4500Rpm for a sec and it hit VVT I think... you can here sound change, and it kicked out a little smoke.:(

i think clamping it my have let the flapp close a little , Cause I did get a little change in the sound and more when I'm driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay where could I get that screw that goes into the vacuum and to my knowledge if you dont cover up the hose with something it makes a siren sound or does that stop when you plug that screw in?

·
39 Posts
Any screw that will fit in there good, I had some old screws kicking around, thats what I used.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
basically anything that will fit in the tube and seal it will work. i used a very small plastic plug with round end fits some car for osmething found it at work looks very neat

1 - 20 of 56 Posts